ordered my Juice with Attitude; any advice?

LKuilder

Well, I broke down Monday and ordered my Edge Juice with Attitude for my 99. Been looking to get one for a while and decided to order it so I could get the rebate they have going on.

Any advice or tips on the install? And anything special I should know about it when I get it going? Thanks for any help.

Yea, better think about the fuel system before you start mashing that skinny pedal!!

When i put my juice i found that my lift pump was dead, put a oem lift pump back on and the juice killed the pump in less than a year.

to fix the fuel system cheap get the relocation kit from vulcan and move the factory lift pump back on the frame. It is way cheaper than a FASS. if you dont want to put a factory one on then go with a holley blue pump for like a 115 buck at o'rielys. I have had mine for a while and it runs right at 13-15 on interstate and ~10psi at wot. its cheap in the short term but if after 8 years you might have more in it than just buying a FASS or a simulair pump but they can always screw up to. and the thing to remeber is fp is the same wether its coming out of a FASS, air dog, holly or a factory unit. thats my take on it.

Yeah dont install it put it on 5 and floor it,, i made it about 100 yards and took out the injector pump.. lol....should of know better but new stuff for a truck is like taking a kid to the candy store just uncontrolable..

I used the pump relocation/big line kit from Geno's garage, and installed an Airtex pump on the frame... 18psi at idle and sucks it down to 7or 8 with comp on 5x5 with the jammer 4's...

I think I have a little over $200 or so in the setup...

http://www.dieseldistributorsusa.com/Airtex-OEM-Replacement-Pump-p/atlp.htm

Geno's used to have a kit that was about $60 that re located the pump and replaced some of the fuel lines... Not sure exactly which one I got, but looks like now they just sell the vulcan kits...

Thanks for the advice. The common thing seems to be fuel pump upgrade. In all honesty, one of the main reasons for getting the juice was for the gauges. I have no gauges at all as of now and with almost 175,000 on what I believe is the stock lift pump I figured I was in desperate need of a set of gauges. Well, after pricing out a set of gauges versus the juice I decided to spend the extra and get the juice and gain my gauges plus hopefully some extra mileage and power. So I'm not planning on using the juice on the upper levels for now. (I have a "work truck" with a blown alcohol hemi that makes 2000hp so I know what its like to mash down on a lot of power and I can usually control myself in my street vehicles) Mainly just for the gauges and on one of the lower settings on the juice to hopefully pick up some mileage. And with the FP gauge on the juice I think I should be able to moniter the FP a lot better than with no gauge at all and if I need it down the road I think I will go the FASS route. The original auto tranny was replaced before I bought the truck and I need to contact the shop that did the work one of these days and see exactly what it is.

Enough of my rambling though, going to pick up the juice in the morning and I think some time will be spent at the shop tomorrow installing it in between changing bodies and changing a motor in one of the race trucks.

Thanks for the advice. The common thing seems to be fuel pump upgrade. In all honesty, one of the main reasons for getting the juice was for the gauges. I have no gauges at all as of now and with almost 175,000 on what I believe is the stock lift pump I figured I was in desperate need of a set of gauges. Well, after pricing out a set of gauges versus the juice I decided to spend the extra and get the juice and gain my gauges plus hopefully some extra mileage and power. So I'm not planning on using the juice on the upper levels for now. (I have a "work truck" with a blown alcohol hemi that makes 2000hp so I know what its like to mash down on a lot of power and I can usually control myself in my street vehicles) Mainly just for the gauges and on one of the lower settings on the juice to hopefully pick up some mileage. And with the FP gauge on the juice I think I should be able to moniter the FP a lot better than with no gauge at all and if I need it down the road I think I will go the FASS route. The original auto tranny was replaced before I bought the truck and I need to contact the shop that did the work one of these days and see exactly what it is.

Enough of my rambling though, going to pick up the juice in the morning and I think some time will be spent at the shop tomorrow installing it in between changing bodies and changing a motor in one of the race trucks.

If you are on a stock lp, chances are its already dead. Don't even turn the Juice on if it has less than 10psi fuel pressure.

yeah... it is my experience that once you go test your pump or hook a juice up and see the pressure youll end up spendin more than you thought.. thats what happened to me

yeah... it is my experience that once you go test your pump or hook a juice up and see the pressure youll end up spendin more than you thought.. thats what happened to me

I figured I'd end up having to add a lift pump too eventually. That was one of the main reasons I went with the Juice also because I don't have any gaugues right now. Is the FASS route a good way to go?

That's what I figured. A few friends I race with have installed their system on their tractor trailers and have had very good support from FASS.

And on the install of the EGT pyrometer; what is the best way to do that? Is it possible to drill and tap it safely without removing the exhaust manifold? Or would pieces get into the turbo? Because I know I have read a lot that it is better to put it before the turbo rather than after. Thanks for all the help so far and any more I'll get. Now I just need to get some free time to get this thing in!

The vulcan (or any other brand) relocation kit with a stock LP will be plenty for the Juice until you start other mods like bigger injectors. I did exactly what cmcows did. This lp has amost 80,000 miles on it and fuel pressure min was 10 psi at 450 hp on the dyno. You can't beat $135.00 delivered with any of the other fuel pumps...although I'd like to upgrade. If you have the money, spend it. If you want to save some and still take care of your IP, do this. $.02

when my truck was completely stock fuel pressure would drop to 2 psi above 2800 rpm. add the edge and lost fp at 1900 rpm. that was with a brand new lp from the factory! got the fass and now im at a steady 16-17 psi cruise or wot. you definitely need more fuel volume/psi before you do any upgrades

That's what I figured. A few friends I race with have installed their system on their tractor trailers and have had very good support from FASS.

And on the install of the EGT pyrometer; what is the best way to do that? Is it possible to drill and tap it safely without removing the exhaust manifold? Or would pieces get into the turbo? Because I know I have read a lot that it is better to put it before the turbo rather than after. Thanks for all the help so far and any more I'll get. Now I just need to get some free time to get this thing in!

No. the manifold does not need to be removed, just go to one side or the other, the center is NOT open. I prefer to use the rearward runner since the back cylinders tend to run a bit hotter.

Drill it almost all the way through, blow off shavings, grease drill bit and finish drilling hole slowly. Grease the tap up and do the same, just stop often to clean the tap and regrease it. Once you have made certain the threads are good use a pencil magnet to root around for any big pieces that might have dropped through. Install probe and fire it up.

Well, I finally got my Juice installed yesterday. Lets say I am pleasantly impressed! I've been able to control myself and haven't run it over level 2 so far. At WOT I'm dropping down to 9-10psi on fuel and running at about 15-16psi at idle on the stock LP. Should I be ok for a little while on that? Eventually I'll add a FASS or some other type of LP but wondering if I should be ok for a while with those numbers. I really like the added power so far and can't wait to see if I pick up some mileage.

I have the juice with att. and a fass, it works great. Ive found that I get my best mileage on the higher settings (20+), you may want to look into tranny mods though

Back