Other Guys With Fuel Sumps, Weigh In

ARbowhunter7

Opulence...I Has It.
I love the simplicity of the fuel sump, but there's something that's been annoying me...fuel slosh. My tank is 34 gallons, but when I get to 1/3 tank or so, any sudden start or stop will take my FP from 45 psi to 0 psi momentarily. I get fuel, and top it off at 22 gallons, and that's it (in a 34 gallon tank). Anyone else run into this?

With a sump you're experiencing this?

I've purposefully ran out of fuel in my truck numerous times with our sump installed to test what you're running into. Every time i've ran out, i pulled the drain plug on the bottom of the sump and got a little trickle and that was it, sucker was about plum dry. Put 2 gallons in it to get me to the gas station, and got 33 gallons in it at that point to fill it up. Granted this was just normal driving, didn't hit any hills purposefully but there are some here around the shop and never really ran into an issue with it.

Could my mounting position be a problem? It's dead in the middle of the tank.

Mine is also dead middle of the tank/slightly to the rear. I get this problem at an 1/8 tank, but I just take it slower till I get to a fill up spot. I don't like running it that low anyways. Mine would also slosh going around turns too fast or hills too steep. I always keep it over 1/4 tank now, except on road trips.

Thats one thing I hate about my draw straw. I can run it until the fuel needle is on the peg if I stay on fairly flat ground, but anything below a 1/4 tank when it sloshes my pressure will drop from 17psi to nothing until it sloshes back

I never had this issue with mine at all. you could try installing a ring with holes to allow the fuel to flow into the ring but hold the fuel when it sloshes around.

Thats one thing I hate about my draw straw. I can run it until the fuel needle is on the peg if I stay on fairly flat ground, but anything below a 1/4 tank when it sloshes my pressure will drop from 17psi to nothing until it sloshes back

Never had a problem with mine, but its a draw straw in a modified stock canister.

No pressure gauge here.

But, I can run the truck empty if I want. I have my sump approximate center. Just offset from the fuel gauge/sender assembly. I also don't like to have a super low amount of fuel in the tank.

The only thing I notice is when I do run it low and have to park on an incline or leave the truck sit, there is a lack of pressure held in the system and the truck is hard to start.

Anyone ever tried fuel cell foam in the tank? I'm thinking about doing this to my Dakota tank. I'd like to try and control fuel slosh somehow. Fass' sump so far has the best idea for keeping fuel above the sump by putting the stock sending unit canister right over it. I've got a Beans sump on my Dakota and a draw straw on my 07. I haven't run my Dakota yet, so no personal feedback on the sump yet.

Check out my sump in the B & B Tooling forum . I built it so it would hold fuel in the sump and wouldn't slosh out. It can be mounted in the back of the tank and you don't have to drop the tank. I have ran my truck at the track with the low fuel light on with out a problem I made it so I could run as little fuel as possible to race with but I still have the stock tank capacity if I want to street drive it somewhere.

Mine is mounted slightly rear of center and my fuel return dumps directly into it from the top of the tank. I haven't had any issues.

Never got to test mine that low, it would usually just blow up before going empty... lol

J/K

I liked the BDP Sump better than the draw straw.

Oooo...pretty. :D

6541686_orig.jpg

Anyone ever tried fuel cell foam in the tank? I'm thinking about doing this to my Dakota tank. I'd like to try and control fuel slosh somehow. Fass' sump so far has the best idea for keeping fuel above the sump by putting the stock sending unit canister right over it. I've got a Beans sump on my Dakota and a draw straw on my 07. I haven't run my Dakota yet, so no personal feedback on the sump yet.

I wouldn't recommend running foam w/ diesel fuel

filter_zps4868eace.jpg

I have never had an issue with mine and have run it hard under 1/4 tank. But my pump is below the tank as well.

No pressure gauge here.

But, I can run the truck empty if I want. I have my sump approximate center. Just offset from the fuel gauge/sender assembly. I also don't like to have a super low amount of fuel in the tank.

The only thing I notice is when I do run it low and have to park on an incline or leave the truck sit, there is a lack of pressure held in the system and the truck is hard to start.

We usually mount ours underneath of the stock canister:

sumpinstall11.jpg

Back