Other side of the microphone

Tubbyman30

Hi, just wondering if anyone has MCed or announced a pull before?

A buddy of mine is sponsoring a local pull, it's pretty small time, nothing too serious, and he was wondering if I would do the announcing. I don't know if I'm the best choice, but if he's in a bind I'll help him out.

It's still a few months away, but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has seen the other side of the announcer's booth.

Question one, do you know anything about pulling or vehicles in general?
If you answer no you're perfect to be the announcer.

Make sure to keep dropping "once the smoke turns black, she goes down the track" every time a diesel spools.

If a truck won't spool it's always the wastegate, make sure the crowd knows it was the wastegate.

I was waiting for him to come up. I remember him from the Oraller thread.

I'm not up to his level yet.

"bouttaaa rolll sum cole bebe"
"i wunna sea a flame out tha top"
"lite ur up!!!!!!"
"hold er strate, you got this"

Our own wideopen is the "John Madden" of truck pull announcing. He's announced several pulls in the TN/KY area. Maybe he could give you some pointers.

DSC02169_zpsilgwtjhb.jpg

Get him, the other administrator, and a case of beer.

I'd listen to it.

:hehe:

do your best to mispronounce the drivers names and identify the Dodges as Chevys and so on

As in the video, encourage the fans to stand on the pulling track

I've stepped in to do it when no-one else will. It's not as easy as it looks/sounds. I know I criticized the way SEVERAL guys announced and thought I could do better as I know a little about the sport/trucks/drivers/etc. but when that microphone gets put in your hands, you forget EVERYTHING and forget how to talk.....

Some tips I've learned:
If the group you're pulling with has sponsors, write them on a paper so you can be sure to announce and not forget any (especially between classes or when there is "down time").

Listen to the crowd, you can often times guage when a phrase is going to be popular or when it's overused. There's usually one guy in the crowd not afraid to say what other people are thinking.

Just this past winter I downloaded a sound clip app to my smartphone and plan to use it (things like applause, snippets of music, movie sound bites, etc) can be used to "spice things up a bit" and gives people a break from the sound of your voice.

Sounds good. I don't anticipate a large crowd, hopefully I can squeak through with minimal mistakes.

I've been listening to the announcer from Rudy's pull for reference phrases. Haha

Back