Oven method on 05 headlights

ciscofreak

manbearpig hunter
Anyone know if you can use the oven to heat the 05 headlights to open them up for painting?

I was able to do this with my Subaru STi to remove the chrome reflectors and paint the housing black. I'm curious if this has been done with our headlights?

I would rather mod mine then spend 300 bucks to buy Harley lights.

I've heard of people trying it with no success in both an oven and with a heat gun.

I haven't tried it though.....

Crap, that's what I was afraid of. I was nervous as hell doing my STi headlights but they turned out great. I guess I'll man up and buy the Harley lights.

I've heard of people doing it with the headlights.. But I'm sure it's different from aftermarket to factory. One of the guys over on the Bombers figured it out with his.. I think he even did K5Krazies headlights on his new mega cab.. I've been trying it with stock and aftermarket tailights with absolutely no luck, I've screwed up a few sets. And I REALLY don't want to screw up my aftermarket headlights figuring it out. But I'd like to get in there if I could. Just can't do what I need to from the backside.

I may try it on my 07 chrome OEM takeoffs just to see for myself.

But, the guys who tried it had done it on the older 02-04 style with success but no luck on the 05-07 style.

I tried it at my cousin's body shop and the lights turned out fine(and cheaper) then about two days later it was really humid in the morning and when I saw my truck the lenses popped off. I guess the sealant doesn't reseal good. I ended up buying the Harley lights.:bang

I thought the same because I helped a buddy do it on his sti too! But no good results here at least.

Back