Over drive question

snoxracer

I have an 05 that has the tow haul button, and I am wanting to shut over drive off when i sled pull. What is need to do this?

Any help will be great!

Right now I am using my TC lock up switch and when it shifts into drive it instantly shifts into OD with the TC locked up.

I have a smarty that is VIN locked with the TNT/R for my truck so if I flash the computer will I have to get a new smarty program.

Thanks,

Dustin

BD o/d lockout box about $200, you can still use tow haul and o/d. it comes with a indicator light, just click or double click the tow haul button to set. It was worth the money.

Hmmm My button on the second push says overdrive off?? Smarty vin locked in truck and controller is MIA??

I believe 05's are tow/haul mode only. 06+ have OD off and tow haul. Bigdan's got the fix.

BD's product is the best solution out there. Lets one preserve the TH features and selectively use OD. Too bad that never got incorporated in everything.

I don't know WTF Dodge was thinking in 05!!! Ugh!!

This has been the biggest PITA....I've got the reflash from dodge to make my T/H a OD OFF button....It works great until you change a setting with a Smarty or other tuner. Then it's right back to T/H mode...

I then have to go see my buddy at Dodge to use his DRBIII to re-enable the OD OFF mode....

I've often wondered about the BD box.....For those that have, Does the "Click" or "Double Click" ever have delay.....I use it quite often in town and then just call 4th whenever I need to.....I just don't want to buy the BD box and have it get confused or have a delay when I want to call 4th FAST..

If the BD box works well, then it seems like a great option....But I would have figured some of the smart guys would'a figure out how to wire up a OD call switch just like my TC lockup switch...

I've often wondered about the BD box.....For those that have, Does the "Click" or "Double Click" ever have delay.....I use it quite often in town and then just call 4th whenever I need to.....I just don't want to buy the BD box and have it get confused or have a delay when I want to call 4th FAST..

If the BD box works well, then it seems like a great option....But I would have figured some of the smart guys would'a figure out how to wire up a OD call switch just like my TC lockup switch...

You won't have an instant shift to 4th, its about a 3 count if you lift off the throttle a bit. Otherwise it can go to a 5 count depending on load. Its meant to work with the ECU and tow not race so its a little slower reacting. The OD shift is slow anyway most of the time, waiting for the ECU is a pain.

Just wire an OD mystery switch like your TC lockup and don't worry about the OD lockout if you want instant 4th. You will have to remember to turn it off or it stays in OD but using the switch and resistor just activates the solenoid and the ECU doesn't care. Cycle off the OD lockout and wait a bit then shut off the OD switch and it stays in OD.

The OD lockout program from the dealer is joke like you said, always gone when you reload Smarty and you loose TH functionality which is nice for certain things.

Just wire an OD mystery switch like your TC lockup and don't worry about the OD lockout if you want instant 4th. You will have to remember to turn it off or it stays in OD but using the switch and resistor just activates the solenoid and the ECU doesn't care. Cycle off the OD lockout and wait a bit then shut off the OD switch and it stays in OD.

I've gotten really good info on how to make this work...
You have any info on this? Anything else beside just tapping a wire and running a ground? Heard something about a "jumper" for the relay under the hood...

Info Please.....

Thanks

Big Swole, I am with you on this one. My single biggest complaint since moving from my 98 to an 05 has been the lack of an O/D lockout. Since I do not like the tow haul mode, I would prefer a simple switch rather than the BD box. From what I understand you need to interrupt the O/D wire with a switch. But I am not sure what needs to be done to keep the computer happy. I was guessing it may need to be fed some voltage through a resistor so it thinks it is grounding the O/D solenoid.

Kevin

I've gotten really good info on how to make this work...
You have any info on this? Anything else beside just tapping a wire and running a ground? Heard something about a "jumper" for the relay under the hood...

Info Please.....

Thanks

Do NOT jumper the relay in the fuse box, bad idea. If the feed circuit for the trans EVER shorts in a solenoid or you inadvertently ground it testing you will burn the relay out and possibly the relay feed in the PDM or the ECU sense circuit. Then it gets expensive. ;)

Both the TC lockup and OD circuit work the same way with the same type of solenoids. The circuit is monitored by the ECU for greater than 5 ohms and less than 100 ohms resistance. Outside those parameters indicates a problem such as an open or short and the ECU shuts down the trans relay to prevent damage to the PDM and the ECU, then, pops a CEL.

The lockup and OD solenoid show about 32 ohms resistance when tested so scotch locking a wire to either sense wire then running to a switch and putting a 33 ohm 1/2 watt resistor between switch and ground works for activation. All the ECU will see is the resistance is still 5-100 ohms and its happy whether or not it has commanded OD or not. Thats an override condition with no failsafe so you are responsible for shutting it off. It will stay in lockup and\or OD until the power is cut or the ground removed.

With the BD lockout box on there and OD locked out, engaging it with a switch simply bypassess all the computer control and as long as the resistor is there the ECU is happy. Flip it off and your back into drive. Depending on how your VB is built this should be almost instant on\off OD.

Big Swole, I am with you on this one. My single biggest complaint since moving from my 98 to an 05 has been the lack of an O/D lockout. Since I do not like the tow haul mode, I would prefer a simple switch rather than the BD box. From what I understand you need to interrupt the O/D wire with a switch. But I am not sure what needs to be done to keep the computer happy. I was guessing it may need to be fed some voltage through a resistor so it thinks it is grounding the O/D solenoid.

Kevin

Her is how you can build a simple OD lockout. Keep in mind unless you modify the VB this will not work to lockout OD as the TC lockup will prevent OD solenoid release. You have to be stopped or in drive for it to function without other changes.

OD_Lockout.jpg

The lockup and OD solenoid show about 32 ohms resistance when tested so scotch locking a wire to either sense wire then running to a switch and putting a 33 ohm 1/2 watt resistor between switch and ground works for activation. All the ECU will see is the resistance is still 5-100 ohms and its happy whether or not it has commanded OD or not. Thats an override condition with no failsafe so you are responsible for shutting it off. It will stay in lockup and\or OD until the power is cut or the ground removed.

With the BD lockout box on there and OD locked out, engaging it with a switch simply bypassess all the computer control and as long as the resistor is there the ECU is happy. Flip it off and your back into drive. Depending on how your VB is built this should be almost instant on\off OD.

EDIT!!
Just saw the diagram above...I'll see if I can manage that....Thanks man!!

On EDIT a 2nd time - I keep getting ahead of myself....If its not going to work like a true (factory) OK off switch without having to be stopped first then it's just gonna be a PITA!! I'm looking to be able to call 4th anytime I wish....Or just it a button / switch and have it downshift out of OD as I wish....Moving or not....

Can this be done??
---------------

Yeah I've got a TC lockup with a 33ohm resister and it works great....

I tried doing the same for the OD...I must not have tapped the right wire cause it didn't seem to work...
You dont happen to know which wire on an 05 is the one to tap?
I pull it from the harness that has like 6 or 7 wires and plugs into the top of the tranny.......Or do I need to find the one coming off the ecm?

Last edited:
I came up with a plan that I hope will work. I plan to end up having two switches. One to lock out the T/C and the other to lock out the overdrive. I purchased an extra set of valve body solenoids and plan to use a set of relays to switch the PCM control wire from the real solenoid to my "dummy" solenoids, thus keeping the computer happy. I plan to mount all the wiring in a small waterproof pelican case mounted somewhere near the trans to keep the wiring neat and short. You guys think this will work? Thanks.

Kevin

Attachments

• qqqqq1.jpg
    qqqqq1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
  • qqqqq2.jpg
    qqqqq2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
I came up with a plan that I hope will work. I plan to end up having two switches. One to lock out the T/C and the other to lock out the overdrive. I purchased an extra set of valve body solenoids and plan to use a set of relays to switch the PCM control wire from the real solenoid to my "dummy" solenoids, thus keeping the computer happy. I plan to mount all the wiring in a small waterproof pelican case mounted somewhere near the trans to keep the wiring neat and short. You guys think this will work? Thanks.

Kevin

Dude!! If this takes care of the OD issue where it can be controled like the factory OD off button, Then I'll pay you to make me one!!

Call me lazy, but this looks like a classy job.....See if it works and hit me up!!

David

David, I will let you know how it works out. I hope to have some time to finish it in the next week or so. I never realized how much I used the OD off button on my old truck until I got the 05 this spring. 70% of my driving is around town and on windy back road. The trans is just constantly shifting in and out of overdrive and it definitely does not help with smoke in the summer time! Now if I felt really ambitious, I could try a 3 way switch that would allow 3 modes, forced lock, stock, and forced unlock. I think I will keep it simple at first but may run some extra wires for future improvements. I will keep you guys posted.

Also thanks to Cantankerous1 for the great info and the diagram!

David, I will let you know how it works out. I hope to have some time to finish it in the next week or so. I never realized how much I used the OD off button on my old truck until I got the 05 this spring. 70% of my driving is around town and on windy back road. The trans is just constantly shifting in and out of overdrive and it definitely does not help with smoke in the summer time! Now if I felt really ambitious, I could try a 3 way switch that would allow 3 modes, forced lock, stock, and forced unlock. I think I will keep it simple at first but may run some extra wires for future improvements. I will keep you guys posted.

Also thanks to Cantankerous1 for the great info and the diagram!

I totally agree...I have to use it to keep smoke down in town..

If this works well for you, please contact me with what you'd charge..

Thanks

Kevin

Should work fine as long as the VB build doesn't interfere with the operation. Davids build should be OK, mine it won't knock it out of OD until I unlock the TC.

Interested to see how it works out for you.

Great success!:woohoo: I hooked it up last night and could not be happier! It is great to have control of the trans. I had an hour drive home last night and what a difference. The same up hill on ramps that I had a difficult time with the smoke are now a breeze. It is like a whole new truck on the back roads. I have a very tight converter so overdrive at 30mph was really lugging. I attached a few photos. If I had to do it over I would put the electronics under the dash and not worry about a waterproof box under the truck.

Attachments

• tcunlock1.jpg
    tcunlock1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tcunlock3.jpg
    tcunlock3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tcunlock4.jpg
    tcunlock4.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
Back