Over drive question

David
I never thought 2 little switches would make my truck so much nicer to drive! As far as building another one, just so you know, I am by no means a professional anything, but if you really want I could put something together for your truck. I was thinking of mounting the solenoids next time on a piece of lexan that could be mounted up under the dash. I tried to pm you a aprox price but I can not send messages until I have over 10 posts on this forum. I am also more than happy to help you out if you wanted to build it yourself. Thanks

Kevin

Could you determine the load of the solenoid and use a resistor to keep the ECU/ECM happy? Then you wouldn't have to buy the two solenoids? Just wondering, also I guess this is similar to the BD box?

Thanks for the great information,

Dustin

David
I never thought 2 little switches would make my truck so much nicer to drive! As far as building another one, just so you know, I am by no means a professional anything, but if you really want I could put something together for your truck. I was thinking of mounting the solenoids next time on a piece of lexan that could be mounted up under the dash. I tried to pm you a aprox price but I can not send messages until I have over 10 posts on this forum. I am also more than happy to help you out if you wanted to build it yourself. Thanks

Kevin

Sent you a PM!! Please post if it doesn't come through!

Thanks Kevin!!

David

David, I got your pm and info but I still cant reply to pm's. I will get in touch with you early next week.

Dustin, I am sure It could be done with resistors of some sort instead of another set or real solenoids. I just figured this way I was positive the computer would "see" the correct load at all times.

SLVRBullet, I used to live near Morgantown, but now I am up closer to Allentown.

Kevin

Thats cool Kevin....

is this switch box only for the 05`s as i can turn my OD off but i would like to be able to lock-up the TC manually...sometimes its such a pain in the neck....since the VB upgrade i cant stand to drive in t/h unless i`m hooked to a trailer & even then at times it will shake the whole truck HARD when it goes into lock-up????? i`m not sure what to do.

Yes, 05' is the only year not to have the over drive off feature. I find the t/c unlock to be just as useful. I could never use tow haul mode around town as it would lock up the converter in 3rd and then bang into over-drive. In and out out of lockup/over-drive, back and forth, drove me nuts around town. Best mod for the money that I have made so far!

I just finished installing my OD lockout module from BD, I haven't taken the truck out for a test drive yet, tomorrow. But I think that it is going to be the just what I am looking for. It is pretty sweet that it uses the factory T/H button and keeps the T/H feature. Press the buttom once= T/H, twice= OD lockout, and you can run either one by its self or together. It has a little LED that you mount to let you know when the overdrive is locked out!

I report back after a test drive tomorrow.

Dustin

I just finished installing my OD lockout module from BD, I haven't taken the truck out for a test drive yet, tomorrow. But I think that it is going to be the just what I am looking for. It is pretty sweet that it uses the factory T/H button and keeps the T/H feature. Press the buttom once= T/H, twice= OD lockout, and you can run either one by its self or together. It has a little LED that you mount to let you know when the overdrive is locked out!

I report back after a test drive tomorrow.

Dustin

You should be very pleased... It is a pretty nice unit actually.

I installed mine a few weeks ago.

Here is one quirk to keep in mind...

I myself don't like to drive around in town (Low speed) with the O/D available... It just causes the transmission to shift too much for my taste... and every shift is just more wear on the trans...

So I always go to O/D Lockout in town... Have done it with all my vehicles since I started driving.

If you go to do it with the BD unit... and the trans is ALREADY in O/D you have to press the button once, wait for the downshift that is caused by T/H engagement and then press and HOLD the button again to get the BD unit to stay on. Otherwise the BD units light just flashes at you and the T/H mode goes off again.

Just a heads up if you do it and wonder why it doesn't seem to work....

You should be very pleased... It is a pretty nice unit actually.

I installed mine a few weeks ago.

Here is one quirk to keep in mind...

I myself don't like to drive around in town (Low speed) with the O/D available... It just causes the transmission to shift too much for my taste... and every shift is just more wear on the trans...

So I always go to O/D Lockout in town... Have done it with all my vehicles since I started driving.

If you go to do it with the BD unit... and the trans is ALREADY in O/D you have to press the button once, wait for the downshift that is caused by T/H engagement and then press and HOLD the button again to get the BD unit to stay on. Otherwise the BD units light just flashes at you and the T/H mode goes off again.

Just a heads up if you do it and wonder why it doesn't seem to work....

Thanks for the info, I still haven't drove my truck since the install, been way busy, plus been raining too much! :lolly:

Yes, 05' is the only year not to have the over drive off feature. I find the t/c unlock to be just as useful. I could never use tow haul mode around town as it would lock up the converter in 3rd and then bang into over-drive. In and out out of lockup/over-drive, back and forth, drove me nuts around town. Best mod for the money that I have made so far!

I just have to say man!!! WOW!!!

Thank you SO much for building me the unit like yours!!! I absolutely Love it! I never knew how Awesome it would be to be able to not only lock out O/D but to lock out the TC... SO fun to drive now around town with little smoke and quick spool.

Those two little switches make SO much difference!!

Thanks again!!!

Back