Over heating 6.7

billybob7

cant hold'er
HELP HELP I have a 07 6.7 with H&S tuner and full deleted i have put a new water pump in and thermostat in. The truck is still over heating i also did a leak test to see if it was the head gasket and it said that the head gasket was good

any help would good thanks

How hot is it getting?

Have you verified fan operation? I should throw a code, but might not throw a CEL.

i have not checked the fan or had any codes for the fan when it over heats it goes all the way to 240 or the highest it will read i also for got to say when it over heats i lose heat in the cab

Could the belt be slipping? The only way I can see you losing heat in the cab is for the coolant to stop flowing thru the heater core...

Or you are somehow getting a lot of air into the system.

Ok thanks and thats what i thought but i dont know how i would get air in the system other then head gasket i am about ready to blow the dam thing up and start over

Just to be certain, are sure it's actually overheating and not a sender/gauge issue?

well i have not replaced the temp senor but checked the wires going to it and 16.7 volts but don't know what it should be i am going to run to town to get a new one and see if that's it also my other gauges work fine

16.7? That seems really high, I think most senders are 0-5v.

ok thank you i had no clue what it should be i am going to replace that and go from there

Besides what you did to try to cure it, what was there anything major done prior to the problem showing up?
When you changed it, were the fins on the water pump bent?
I see you're in central, Wisconsin.
Any chance it had weak coolant and got cold enough to freeze solid?

What you're describing sounds all the world like some freeze-ups I have seen, where the block is solid ice down lower and the coolant at the top and around the head overheats and causes boil over.
In the cases I have had, where the block ices up, you can run the vehicle for hours and hours outside in the cold and the symptoms never go away, put it in a warm shop, or have the temperature get above freezing, where the block thaws out and all is back to normal.

In the case of a feeze-up, it overheats because there is flow blockage and the volume of what is liquid is reduced, the heater quits because liquid has turned to steam.
In even a semi-solid freeze up, if you fire it up, it USUALLY kills the water pump vanes and in one interesting instance I had, it actually burned up a water pump v-belt.

Chances are, what is circulating is only there because the head is the warmest part and heats up first.

It's only a possibility, but one worth mentioning in this weather and it goes out the window if you keep it in a warm garage every night. :D.

Mark.

no there wasn't ant thing it started back when it was end of summer and yes all the fins where on there i don't think its freezing up it will do it when i take it out of the shop

but thanks for the info

When u put new pump and thermostat in did you bleed the system? When I do mine I pull the heater hose coming off the head to the heater core to purge the system. When it starts coming out put the hose back on and finish filling. I had that same thing happen until I realized what I did.

i did bleed it i also was just out working on it a put pressure tester on it and got up to 9-10 psi and should be at 16 but when i rev the motor it drops down to 4 psi like it making a vacuum

With that low of pressure check for belt slipping and if its on the right way. Is your t-stat in correctly. There wasn't any damage to the water pump cavity in the block?

yes the belt is on right dont look like its slipping the t-stat is in right and working and there wasn't any damage to any thing when i pulled the pump or the block

Something changed that you went from normal to overheating.
Do you recall what the conditions were prior to the first overheat?

Any chance you can put either pressure or vacuum on the system and leave it for an extended period of time to see if it's leaking down?

It's a fairly common fact that some 6.7s seem to have an issue with holding head gaskets.

Mark.

Almost every time a 6.7 lifts a head it will loose heat in the cab . As much as you dont want to let it sink in. My money would be on a head gasket. Happens all the time. Especially with stock turbo. Pull the head. Get it decked. Give us a call and Snedge will get you set up with a secret super duper good gasket. And I would recommend throwing some studs in.

Ok guys thanks where going to take it to dealership on tuesday see what they say I think head gasket too but it's one of our work truck and don't want to tare it down unless I know for sure if they say it's a head gasket then I guess I got some work to do

Thank for the info

Back