Over torque a head gasket?

24VChevy

Ram-Bow
We have done a few head gaskets on the Cr engine with the 98-02 gasket modified coolant passages and arp 625 bolts torqued to 160ftlbs. Both times the gasket failed at the front of the engine by puking oil out. It appears that the gasket squished its way out. Cylinder blocks were oringed with a 0.41 wire with 11 thou protrusion.

So two different motors
Same failure
Both 625
Head and deck confirmed flat

Customer installed a msl gasket last time in a pinch to get it running seems to be holding. I thought that mls and a oring dont mix.

Are we over torquing the gasket?

Both engines produce over 1000 hp at the tires on fuel.

Thanks

Malcolm

We've had good results with Haisley MLS Firering kit with 625s for 1000+ HP builds.

So what about a oring crushed into a Mls gasket?

Can a fire ring be installed with the block in the truck?

The cylinder opening on an MLS gasket isn't round but some how people have been getting them to seal with regular o-rings. I know of a super street truck from southern indiana with that setup and it was holding.

Yes I know Woodruff has a few cr trucks competing with o-ring on a MLS gasket.

Lavon

I have used orings and mls with good success but with a 6.7 gasket that is round.

The other gasket didnt squish out, just the way it looks when they blow. I have had the same issue with the 12/24v gaskets and orings.

Modified 24v gasket with orings have worked fine for us. How much do you get in retorques?

Last edited:
head gasket

Hey Brad, not much at all, the oring area does not fail it looses oil containment at the front of the head area.

the gasket squishes out at the front.

what torque are your taking the studs to with the ARP lube?

Malcolm

If it always blows out the front I would double check the head and block flatness. You should be getting good retorques with that setup. Do you retorque cold or hot? We torque hot and set them to 125 with additional torques up to 145 in 5lb increments. Retorquing hot has been our way for years with great success.

Thanks for the tips there Brad, is that 145 with the 625 arp's? I am going to try a mls isx gasket with the orings. Seems to be working well on another truck.

Thanks again

Malcolm

Back