Overloading Drag Tires

Jacob 76

Let'er Buck
What are you guy's opinions on the load ratings on drag tires? Anybody that has races on street tires has exceeded the speed rating of them and they came out fine... Hell I've gone almost 120 on Mickey Thompson mtz's rated for I think 99mph and I'm fine. I'm curious if load ratings are the same as speed ratings because it seems like every drag tire I've found had a load rating of around 1500 pounds. So basically they're overloaded from just the weight of the pickup. The tire I'm specifically asking about is the Hoosier pro street. Thoughts?

Are you talking about running them on the street or the track? Both load and speed ratings are primarily related to tire temperature, so for short durations at the track I wouldn't be too worried as long as it is within reason.

Both. I'm not a fan of swapping tires. If I can't drive it on the street, it's a worthless vehicle in my opinion.

They'll build heat very fast on the street, I'd be afraid to drive far.

Yup, if you are significantly overloading them then they will build heat pretty quickly.

That's basically what I needed. What DOT tires are most guys running on their trucks? I'm not talking 420s' and stuff I mean Hoosier's, Mickey Thompsons, M&H, etc.

I run Hoosier Pro Streets on my dually street and strip but i dont tow with them !

I run Hoosier Pro Streets on my dually street and strip but i dont tow with them !

That's the tire I was wondering about. But they are only rated at 1500 pounds per tire. So they would be overloaded on the front. Have you had any problems with them on the street, cornering and things like that?

Back