P 0106 issues.

stackx2

Hey guys, I just bought a new to me 08 6.7 Laramie mega cab and i am having a really frustrating issue with it. I am getting a p0106 code that says it is map sensor performance. When I drive down the highway a red lightning bolt on the dash will come up and the check engine light will ding and my truck will just die like I let off the throttle. If I let off the throttle and get back into it it will go again but only with the engine brake on, or I can floor it and the tranny will downshift and it will go as well. The research ive done says to replace the MAP sensor,so I did, no change. I did a little more research and it said to change the turbo speed sensor so I did, no change. I also disconnect the batterys for 1 hour and no change.this issue will happen like every 20 seconds and is a PITA to drive. I've got an app. set for the dealer in the morning so if you guys could give me any more insight before then I would appreciate it thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

now that you mention it, when I come to a stop, even with the exhaust brake off it is still engaged. Not all of the time but sometimes.

They can gum up with soot and stick when they stick weird things happen. Had a few on a isx stuck closed it choked all the intake air off and the engine wouldn't start

do you know of any way to clean it without taking the turbo off?

Nope has to be removed and exhaust housing removed off turbo. There's no listed procedure from cummins on cleaning them usually when they start sticking there is wear and that eventually leads to an absolute failure.

Would it be best to clean with compressed air or with any type of solvent?

I clean them up to inspect them just use brake clean and dry with shop air. You'll have to pull the actuator off the turbo to move the nozzle ring and the actuator is calibrated to the turbo meaning if it's removed it must be calibrated when put back on. Not sure how all that works in the dodge world tho

Crap this sucks! It seems like everything is calibrated to everything.

That's how it is. The actuator is a "smart" device. It's controlled over the j1939 data link in the med/heavy duty truck world. I believe it's called the CAN BUS in light truck world.

Well I found the issue! It ended up being a bad battery. I swapped them out with my wife's 08 and it cured everything!

Well, I still need some help. I thought the batteries fixed the issue but they didn't. I drove the truck for a day with no issues and the next it all came back. I took the truck to the dealer and they said that the turbo was not responding and needed to be replaced, so I replaced it and within 10 mins it did the same thing. So here is the list of parts I've replaced with no change. Map sensor, turbo speed sensor, turbo, both sensors on the intake tube, apps pedal, and the exhaust back pressure sensor. I am beginning to think that it is in the ECM and started because of a dealer reflash but I don't know. I tuned the truck with efi live yesterday and deleted it but it still persists. Les at silver bullet tuning said it is possible that it could have been a bad reflash and when he built the tune it transferred over with it. Anyone else have any input? I'm at my starting to get really frustrated:banghead:

Last edited:
It's not in the ecm. I also just pulled the intake horn and egr, the egr is sealing, there is no build up of soot, and the previous owner pulled the butterfly out of the tv. I need some ideas, I'm all out.

Back