P 7100

i belive they can be adapted to work, but i have not done it. the oil feed is different and a few other things.

It is different?

I heard, the pump housing is always same as long pump type is P7100, it does not matter where it was mounted (8.3 or 5.9)

But I am not 100% sure.

Different can be: cam, delivery valve+ holder, governor, plungers

Last edited:
Your pump number 837 is rated for 250hp at 2000rpm and 800lb-ft at 1300rpm on the 8.3. As far as what it will do on the 5.9?................Try it.

IIRC the Bosch P 7100 pump was used on Cummins engines as well as Mack engines, tuning the pumps is identical I have been told. I would think that so long as it will mount up and does not have a different firing order you will be good to go.

DWitcher said:
Your pump number 837 is rated for 250hp at 2000rpm and 800lb-ft at 1300rpm on the 8.3. As far as what it will do on the 5.9?................Try it.
Well its been a few months since I've melted something down......I guess Im due. I wonder what I should do for timing???? Should I just lock both pins and bolt it on??? How should I adapt the hx40 to the 5.9 man.........or maybe use the stock turbo and the 40 as a compound.........I think I have turbo off of a 400 Mack somewhere. Yep its scrap steel for X-Mas again this year :ylsuper:

That pump on the 8.3 was set at 11*. Your kidding with the stock and 40 as a compound set right? Install a 10 or a 100 plate and a set of 3gsk's in it. What do you have for injectors?

DWitcher said:
That pump on the 8.3 was set at 11*. Your kidding with the stock and 40 as a compound set right? Install a 10 or a 100 plate and a set of 3gsk's in it. What do you have for injectors?
Yes I was kidding about the compound set up(saw that question asked on another fourm but with 2 hx35) what I have is a stock 1994,by stock I mean a 100 plate, 4" exh and a home brewed air cleaner. Now here is my plan. The first thing Im going to do is kinda eyeball the pump shafts and make sure they look close before I pull the pump. If it does bolt on, use a baseline of 11*, stock injectors, fuel plate and afc far back , hx40 and try to tune it from there. If all seems good I wanna try 370's , 100 plate more timing and twins. But I need to see how much fuel this things going to dump first,if it even lites up. Any advice????

get it put on a pump stand and see what kind off cc's it'll push with different modifications.

oldsmokey97 said:
get it put on a pump stand and see what kind off cc's it'll push with different modifications.
It takes the fun out of it, the pump shop is only 25min away and they could tell me anything I needed to know. I wanna here from the hardcore grassroots backyard builders,the guys who been there, broke it and made it better. The guys who think taking a pump off a 505ci engine and putting it on a 359 seems like a good way to upgrade a stock pump.

I know for a fact it will bolt up. There is a core 8.3 out there somewhere with a 5.9 160hp on it.:rolleyes: . I think putting it on a test stand is a great idea. We could all use the info.

Billysgoat said:
IIRC the Bosch P 7100 pump was used on Cummins engines as well as Mack engines, tuning the pumps is identical I have been told. I would think that so long as it will mount up and does not have a different firing order you will be good to go.
Dont forget a few years on IH, and Ford(New Holland).

Thankee for the additional info, I did not know about those two :rockwoot:

Here's one on a DT466, consequently has a #0 plate full forward:evil , star wheel adjusted, timing advanced, and 2 clix on the gov springs. So, if you were looking to buy a Med duty IH truck, get a 93-95 rated at least 210hp. Any less (advertised)hp, and you'll need to swap out pistons & junk. Yes, you can even use a 3k GSK.

Attachments

• UnknownMA9256947-0004.jpg
    UnknownMA9256947-0004.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
DWitcher said:
I know for a fact it will bolt up. There is a core 8.3 out there somewhere with a 5.9 160hp on it.:rolleyes: . I think putting it on a test stand is a great idea. We could all use the info.
I was most worried about the shaft size and taper.....You have run a 505 pump on a 5.9???? I hate to say it...but over the years I have pitched so many 8.3, 5.9 and EM7 Mack pumps and turbos it now makes me want to cry.The P pump from a Mack is kinda different, its a right side mount and is driven by a timing advance unit........well I guess I can try to get it on a stand next week, BTW the front cover is stamped 215hp its a Recon motor so I dont know what to expect....but it did run every bit as good as our turned up 250's

The black is 94´ dodge ram pump and the grey is 8,3L cummins pump.
Soon I will open the both pumps :ylsuper: .

Attachments

• pump.JPG
    pump.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 54
  • pump1.JPG
    pump1.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 46
  • pump2.JPG
    pump2.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 27
  • pump3.JPG
    pump3.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 37
wagoneer said:
The black is 94´ dodge ram pump and the grey is 8,3L cummins pump.
Soon I will open the both pumps :ylsuper: .
I cant tell form the pic's is the shaft the same????

it looks the same, the one off the 8.3 has a nut on the end of it and the one off the dodge dont

Back