P-pumped '01 OBD questions

bartholins

So, first off, thanks to all of you and the info on this forum, I got my truck fired up last weekend, am just cleaning up the last of the little stuff and slapping it together. Now comes the part where I'm stupid and didn't fully think thru this whole thing... I'm in Ada county in Idaho where they *used to* check diesel emissions with the throttle snap test, no biggy right... well I've overheard this year they're now doing an OBD test as well. This fits my luck. So I have two or three options... I can 'move' to 'live with my grandpa' and license there (hopefully). Or sell it to him... or, will the thing run without throwing codes if I either find a '98 ECM, or I've read a few posts where cummins can reflash the ECM (maybe to a '98) for you? Just thought I'd ask you folks your opinions, and recommendations. Yeah, I should have looked in to this before hand, but some reason it didn't even cross my mind... and switching back to a VP is the absolute last option.

Thanks again for all the info and help so far!

One other thought, it looks like there's a couple other possibilities. EFILive, HP Tuners, Auto Enginuity, all seem to have a function where they can tell specific DTCs to just 'not report'. Anyone else look in to this or try this? If you could just stop the PCM from reporting a companion code from the ECM (P1693 I believe?) you think you'd get a CEL? or would any codes show up on a 'test'? Just thinking out loud, as I've heard that switching to a '98 ECM would require massive amounts of changing sensors and such?

Yeah, I've got a few outs, worst case I sell to family that lives in a friendlier county and borrow their 'new' truck, but that's last resort so far. There's quite a few folks getting tweaked Camaros thru by disabling DTCs, seems like I should be able to do similar things, but the Cummins ECM being the one throwing the codes has me spooked about just buying software assuming it will work for me. I wonder if the Cummins insite software can silence DTCs as well and it's just not advertised or used? Just thinking out loud again...

One more question - anyone know if a DRB 3 tool will help me out in any way? I don't have access to one... and they're beyond spendy... :)

You might want to talk to Bob Wagner and Marco, maybe they can do something with the Smarty to hide codes. Be an expensive option to buy a smarty for just a code killer, but if it keeps the truck on the road, might be worth it.

Back