P-Pumping a VE

SledYanker

my brother, my hero
What's involved in switching to a P7100 on a 1st gen? I know it will no longer be a "1st gen" without the VE pump, but... What's it take to do it? I've got a good deal I'm after on a first generation CTD but I'm not interested in the VE pump thing.

Thx

It'll still be a 1st gen. Generations are body styles..if you can find an engine from a 94-98.5 go that route, I've heard it's much less of a headache.

I can handle a little headache if it works out financially. And financially I can't afford the price of a '94-'98. Nonetheless, it's a super sweet deal on the ve motor, thus my interest.

Trucks are very cheap right now, I can buy a 3rd gen for what I bought my 2nd gen for. If you do a search on "1st gen p-pump" something will come up. In my memory, it isn't very cost effective. Depending on head, I believe 93s have the same injector thread as 94-98.5s but you have to worry about the front cover I believe a different cam with the pump lobe on it (not sure if the ve pump lobe is the same as a p-pump lobe) then the cost of the p-pump and the injection lines then if you have to get different injectors...check the for sale section, I believe there's a few engines running around on there

I have a modded p-pump from another project, the motor is a '93 but I don't know squat about the injector's threads.
Oh, and the motor Im so interested in is FREE. So it'll be hard to pass up.

Good deal. I believe the threads are the same on the 93-up but someone with more knowledge with the 1st gen trucks will be here to correct me.

It'll still be a 1st gen. Generations are body styles..if you can find an engine from a 94-98.5 go that route, I've heard it's much less of a headache.
Nope. First gens are ve pumped. You become the red headed step child as soon as you violate that rule.
As a side note, ditch the VE if you want to make power without headaches.

Ron(red headed step-child)

So why are vp44 powered "2nd" gens still considered "2nd" gens? P-pumps came first on the 2nd gen so....

To P-pump a first gen you need new injector lines, a new front cover, the pump, pump gear, and all the misc. shutdown and throttle linkage. Not too bad or so I have heard if you have time and are handy with tools. Bout a weekends worth of work.

injector threads are the same on all the 12 valves, you just need injectors for a p-pump. stock cam will work fine and the 2nd gen lift pump will bolt right up. like already mentioned you need pump, gear, timing cover, lines, injectors, some modifications to return fuel line, lift pump, 2nd gen throttle cable and bracket assembly that mounts to pump (2nd gen throttle cable hooks right up to your throttle pedal), 2nd gen t.v. cable and lever for transmission (if auto), oil line and "T" for oil supply to pump.

thats all i can think of right now, let me know if theres anything else i can help you with.

If your engine is a non intercooled motor you will have to get adaptors to run the p pump injectors. The 12v 2nd gen throttle cable will fit but it is a stretch and could be a problem I think the 24valve 2nd gen cable is longer and might be a better choice. I just put the whole p pump motor in along with the intercooler in my 89. Rich

I sure would like to learn more on this, I too have a "to good to pass up deal" on a 93 with rotary pump whole truck complete, and am wanting to do a swap in my 01 superduty, but wouldlike to P pump, maybe I will see if I can trade whole truck complete for a p-pumped engine....

If you can get a whole p-pump motor go that way. You will be ahead. Probably money ahead too.

For a conversion under 400hp the rotary motor would be perfect.

Nope. First gens are ve pumped. You become the red headed step child as soon as you violate that rule.
As a side note, ditch the VE if you want to make power without headaches.

Ron(red headed step-child)

Yup! Do it and don't look back. Cummins seemed to be ok with the p pump.
I have never seen any-one put a ve pump on a 2nd gen truck,12v or 24v.
Just my smart azz .02
TOMMY

Back