P.S.I to find a boost leak??

lotero

I BREAK STUFF
well last time i was swapping injectors i broke my boost line at the boost bolt, no big deal installed a new ferrule and tightened down.. this got me wondering in order to leak check this if i wanted to, how much PSI would i have to build in order to actually show a leak? will spraying soapy water on the component at idle do it? this goes directly to my boost gauge and shows 0 PSI so i wouldnt be able to tell if its leaking right?? more of a curiousity thing than anything. i still hit 48* so all is well but small leaks like that can still be factors right?

I don't think soap and water at idle would do much, since the truck will idle fine without an inner-cooler even in the truck. The motor has enough vacume to it to run just fine at idle without turbo support. The only real way that I know of to find a leak is: one you would be able to hear a leak, or get a couple air preasure gauges and put one before you inner cooler and one after it, up by the intake horn.

I have a thread over on TDR that explains how to make a boost leak tester out of a rubber fernco, plastic pvc fittings that only costs $15. It is really simple & works great. Check it out!

I hook up a regulator to them when I test them. I have run them up to 40psi, but I would not recommend this with the normal PVC style tester. You can get the major leaks with 5psi.

yea ... i just unhook ur air filter... and stuff it with a rag then take the blow gun and blow air back threw the system and it usually pressurizes enough that if u have a bad leak u can hear it or feel it

3" PVC plug and a valve stem on the pipe that connects to the turbo outlet should do the job. I used a 4" pvc plug and valve stem on the turbo inlet with a piece of 4" hose.

I built this one and used it to find mine. 15psi is all I could put on it with out the pvc blowing out of the fernco. 15psi is more than enough to find a leak and it works great.

Attachments

• leakdetect.JPG
    leakdetect.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 32
sweet thanks fellas. only time i have ever had a boost leak is when i blew about an inch worth of boot off of the pass side lower intercooler boot.

Back