P0230 code with a mechanical lift pump....

rightwinger

I am still getting the P0230 code, which is LP is out of voltage range....I am currently running a fuel boss mechanical pump. How can I get this code to go away, I have cleared it but it returned. Do I need a resistor and if so what is the best type to use? Thanks in advance!

You need the proper value. The problem is that to mimick the amperage draw of the pump, you will need a massive resistor. Volts X Amps = Watts. I would call Fuel Boss & see what they suggest. Here is a Wiki on Ohm's Law to further confuse you.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law"]Ohm's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Ed

No, CEL, but I would like to get the code out of there if possible. Just a little OCD I guess...ha

I am still getting the P0230 code, which is LP is out of voltage range....I am currently running a fuel boss mechanical pump. How can I get this code to go away, I have cleared it but it returned. Do I need a resistor and if so what is the best type to use? Thanks in advance!

Have you contacted Fuel Boss?

Was always curious if the mechanical setups caused a code and now I know. Some states....codes can be a reason to fail inspection regardless of a CEL light.

My question though, is the computer is looking for a voltage demand, or full voltage load? Simply demand could be taken care of by creating a load circuit for 12v.

I thought the fuel boss used the stock lift pump to prime though and bypassed once pressure was reached?

The fuel boss can be used with a stock lift pump, however the reason I originally installed the Fuel Boss was because my lift pump took a dump on me.....So yes you are correct, if I had installed this with an electric pump I would not have this issue, but I have no desire to ever have an electric pump again, this thing runs great and seems to crank over faster now than it did before. But it would be nice to remove the engine code. I will call Richard at GDP when I get a chance.

Basically the ECM is expecting a certain amount of current draw from the lift pump circuit. But since it open circuit (disconnected) there is nothing so the ECM complains about it by tossing a P0230 code. There is no loss of performance with P0230 code. You could wire up a relay to the lift pump lead like AirDog or FASS does to fool it.

Back