P0336 and p0216 with weird issues.

oldsmokey97

I have a 99 that I am having issues with.
Dtc's are a p0336 and a p0216, which are crank pos. sensor A circuit range, and Injection Timing Control circuit.

The trucks runs perfectly fine at idle. As you slowly bring up the rpms everything seems to work fine untill about 1800 rpm.
At 1800 rpm it starts to smoke white and run badly (which i know it the timing part of the pump messed up). But, right around 1800 rpm, the tach falls down to zero and throws the p0336. 1800 rpm and up all the way to redline, the tach does not work.
On the scanner, if i look at crank sensor rpm, cam sensor rpm, injection pump rpm, and rpm signal at the ecm, they all are right together with each other untill you get to around 1800 rpm. After 1800 rpm, the tach falls and all of the different rpms that should be the same all go crazy all over the place. Each of them will randomly vary from 50 rpm all the way up to the actual engine rpm.

Tried wiggle test with no change. I am positive that the pump is bad. But, i dont want to put a pump on it and then find a wiring problem. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem before. The customer already tried crank sensor with no luck. Is it possible that the injection pump being messed up would somehow change the vref to all the different speed sensors?
Thanks
Lance

Cam sensor? I would say your sensor that acts the weirdest after 1800 should be replaced first. Tone wheel loose on crank?

Yes replace the cam sensor, the one that's behind the VP44 screwed into the timing case and not fun to get to (#11 in diagram). Could try the crank sensor too which is easier to get to, near the starter on the driver side, #10 24 Valve Fuel System Components

Back