p0514 Batt/temp sen ?

There is a temp sensor under the battery to make sure it doesn't overheat from being over charged.

Jff24Gordn said:
There is a temp sensor under the battery to make sure it doesn't overheat from being over charged.

AND THAT THROWS A CODE, MUST BE SENSITIVE ?

I threw that code a while ago, cleared it, and it never came back. There is a sensor coming from the bottom of the drivers side battery tray

GOT-Torque said:
Anyone know if it serves any other purpose?

it's just another way to reg. the voltage depending on battery temp.....i guess the ECM need lots of info

According to a dodge tech I know he said if the sensor is inoperable or not installed it will cause the ecm to default to min. output from alt. Just the temp sensor was like 70 bucks not including the plug. I got the one off the donor truck my CR came out of. Real sensitive to acid leaks. From what he told me it's pretty common to see a cold start issue because the alt. wont keep up with the grid heaters.

Monitor the following sensors using the DRB III.or Appropriate
Battery temperature sensor
Engine coolant temperature sensor
Intake manifold temperature sensor
Inlet (air filter box) temperature sensor.
This must be done at initial key ON after the truck has sat through a cold soak (over 9 hours).
Note: Ambient temperature (the sensor for the overhead display) is not an input.
There are two conditions which could set this code:
After the key-switch has been OFF for more then 480 minutes (8 hours)
The Battery temperature value is MORE THAN 10 degrees (fahrenheit) different than both the intake manifold temperature and the inlet temperature. The intake and inlet temperature values MUST BE less than 10 degrees apart.
The ECM looks for a change in the battery temperature value of more than 3.6 degrees over 15 miles. The P0514 fault will set if the truck is driven a minimum of 15 miles and the battery temperature does not change more than 3.6 degrees.
In either condition, it takes two consecutive trips / consecutive failures for the MIL to be turned on.

Back