P2149

WV Stud

Hillbilly
I am getting this code right now along with another code that leads to injector # 5,I have ohmed out the injectors they all read 0.06 also note that these injectors just came back from exgery about two months ago and have not had any run time on them since then.

I have also ohmed out my injector wiring harness and keep getting 0.02 or 0.03 I am not sure for the right number I need to be looking for while I am doing my harness.I was told anything higher then 0.02 means I need a new harness.Can anyone confirm this ?

I am also interested in knowing if you had this P2149 code what did you do to fix it ?

At this point the truck will not start,it did how ever start on a shot of fluid today and ran for 10-15 seconds and shut off,after this I tried to start the truck with out a shot and it would not,I also tried again with another shot but never would start.I am not a fan of doing this so maybe I was a little scared and never sprayed enough.

A diesel works on compression we all know this,which leads me to think that the injectors are not firing and I assume that a injector harness would be my problem.I am getting fuel to the rail,yes I cracked the line and checked and yes I still have all both of my eyes

What's cranking rail pressure? Most likely VC gasket tho.

Last edited:
I don't have a scanner to put on it,my autometer rail gauge doesn't move when cranking.I am gone to pick up a vg gasket right now.

I doubt your going to fix it with the VC harness but I honestly hope you do.

You really need a scanner to check things correctly otherwise your just going to be throwing parts at it and guessing. Neither are very cost effective.
Once you get a scanner you can test your injectors like this.

1. Remove the two wires from each one of the affected cylinders injectors. In this case cylinders 4, 5, 6. Do this one at a time. Isolate the wires so they do not ground out. Clear the code with the scan tool and start the engine back up. If the code resets, install the wires and take off the next two wires for the next cylinder. If the code does not return with one of the injectors disconnected, that injector is failing under load. Replace it.

2. If the code continues to reset after all injectors are isolated, replace the Electronic Control Module (ECM). Be aware that the ECM comes blank and will need to be programmed after replacement. The vehicle will not start without programming

I just went through this yesterday. Turned out to be low system voltage causing the ECM to not have enough juice to fire the injectors.
In my case I unplugged the grid heater and the issue is gone.
I also have a scanner that allows me to shut down each injectors to test them and all worked fine.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
Welp the gasket never worked,all the fuses are good.

I am gone to try and get a snap on scanner on it this evening,but it may be next week before I can do that.

I was afraid of that.

Once you get the scanner you should be able to look deeper. Fuel pressure while cranking etc.

Since you have EFIlive have you thought about using the scan tool software and using the hand held in pass through with a laptop and monitor rail pressure while cranking. At least you would know if the rail pressure while cranking is the problem. just a thought.

I have not fooled with the software that much to do that,It hasn't even been on the truck yet.

I am going to pull the grounds and cleans those,and keep gone over everything electrical wise that I can until next week when I can get a scanner on it.

How ever this evening just for chits and giggles I turned the key on and took a test light and tested the injectors both studs on all 6 injectors and when I got to number 5 one stud made my light really bright.The rest of them would barley kick my light on,I am not sure if it even means anything but I thought it was interesting.

Don't use a test light! Use a logic probe or multi meter.

I did that about 4 times on all the Injectors,I was just messing around with the test light.

I took the rp gauge and gave it direct power to a battery so it would not be interrupted and tried to start the truck with and with out the fca plugged in.On my auto meter it never moved a bit,on my insight CTS it shows 0.01 while cranking.

The thing is my insight shows 5 psi boost with the key turned on so I don't know if I could really trust it.1

Im interested in what you find, my truck did the same thing two days ago threw a P0206 and the P2149, I limped it back home went and bought a injector yesterday went to limp it down the road to my dads shop, wouldn't move cleared the codes let it sit for 10 min. Went back out it started and cleared up been driving it around 2 days no problems,

has anyone else had problems with this? is it likely for injectors to stick and throw codes? any help is appreciated

Last edited:
I have searched until my eyes water and most of the time a injector or a set will fix the problem,if the harness/gasket doesn't..I have not seen anyone with this code and the truck not start like mine.I can crank all I want on mine but won't get the p2149 unless it starts and it hasn't started since Tuesday.

I am wondering if injector 5 coil is the problem and causing a major voltage drop therefore causing voltage signals to drop as well. I seen this happen on a 97 powerstroke when wire insulation was degraded and shorting against the inside wall of the VC.
A suggestion which you might have already tried. Lift the wires off injector 5 and tape the ends and see if the truck will start.

I think you have a bad injector. I had a similar code a while back and it ended up being a injector.

Tobin

Im interested in what you find, my truck did the same thing two days ago threw a P0206 and the P2149, I limped it back home went and bought a injector yesterday went to limp it down the road to my dads shop, wouldn't move cleared the codes let it sit for 10 min. Went back out it started and cleared up been driving it around 2 days no problems,

has anyone else had problems with this? is it likely for injectors to stick and throw codes? any help is appreciated

Yes, I ended up pulling the injectors out and having them tested. One was found bad.

I was working in South Carolina. This happened after work one day back to the hotel. Truck lost all power and felt horrible. Cleared codes 2-3 times and then it went away. Finished work there and drove back home (Florida) with it running perfect. Decided to yank them out and have them tested and one was found to be bad.

Tobin

I am wondering if injector 5 coil is the problem and causing a major voltage drop therefore causing voltage signals to drop as well. I seen this happen on a 97 powerstroke when wire insulation was degraded and shorting against the inside wall of the VC.
A suggestion which you might have already tried. Lift the wires off injector 5 and tape the ends and see if the truck will start.

I tried that today and it still wouldn't start,but that was a very good post :clap:

Hopefully the guy comes over tomorrow and can put a scanner on it,if not what would be your next move if you was in my shoes ?

Take it to the dealer ?
Source another CP3 and try that ?

I would have the Injectors tested before you throw any parts at it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

And who do you recommend for that ? They just came back from exergy 2-3 months ago.Will one bad injector cause it not to start at all ? I have never seen that happen.

If there is a close shop that's where I would go, all you need is an injection shop nothing fancy need to check them.

The other side is until you know what fuel pressures your dealing with don't do anything.
You have to see pressures before you go forward.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Back