P7100 electronic timing .... impossible?

parkland

I have been reading and learning a bit about the P7100.

I am curious if anyone has ever tried to adjust the timing "on the fly".
There is quite a lot of imformation about "how to time" one, but I'm wondering if there is a way to change the timing maybe for throttle position.

Like maybe an aneroid type device could be used, and at low RPM's, the timing could be running around 10*, then at 3000 RPM it could be around 20*, but high throttle or boost could push it back to 10* to keep combustion pressure in check.

This could improve mileage and make more reliable power right?
The mechanical parts to do this seem simple, but I've never heard of it.

Also I read that the injection even lasts a maximum of 40* of crank travel, is this measured before or after the timing mark, or in the middle?

It have done before by some engine manufacturers.

There is few ways to do it, like electric with solenoid and mechanical by oil pressure or mechanical by centrifugal force ......

It have done before by some engine manufacturers.

There is few ways to do it, like electric with solenoid and mechanical by oil pressure or mechanical by centrifugal force ......

I have read that it HAS been done, I am wondering how it COULD be done.
If someone wanted to try this on a p7100 or similar, where would you look?

Ideally I'd want to use an electric servo, just because microcontrollers are so damn cheap now.

OMG you guys; let me rephrase that....

"a method of physically adjusting the timing on a p7xxx series pump using a linear adjustment of choice"

I doubt the average person want so spend more than it's worth to do this.

haha but thanks thoughl did make for some interesting reading

Only way to adjust timing would be in the gear or plungers. All other adjustments are very slight changes.

I know there were a few pumps built that could vary timing by as much as 10 degrees as rpm increased, but the builder decided they weren't worth the hassle.

I brought this up years ago and somebody mentioned the mack mechanical setup, and thought that it had been done out I never found any more info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I know of 1 PSD and one DMAX from just my small group of friends that grenaded the engine from a hung injector.

The DMAX was a 2006 and the ford wa a 2008.
The trouble is that you don't know anything is wrong till it's too late.
Both of these times = new engines.

A least a unit injector was an easy fix, common rail failures while maybe more rare, are commonly devastating.
:bang

I brought this up years ago and somebody mentioned the mack mechanical setup, and thought that it had been done out I never found any more info.

I have run across that information.

Honestly I thought of a "mounting plate spacer" assembly, where it moved the fuel pump away from the gear that drivess it, and places an idler gearset between the 2, and slightly moves the gearset to change the timing.

I have zero means of building such a device, just speculation.

parkland;1910653 I have zero means of building such a device said:
Lol. That's pretty much where it ended for me too.

I know of 1 PSD and one DMAX from just my small group of friends that grenaded the engine from a hung injector.

The DMAX was a 2006 and the ford wa a 2008.
The trouble is that you don't know anything is wrong till it's too late.
Both of these times = new engines.

A least a unit injector was an easy fix, common rail failures while maybe more rare, are commonly devastating.
:bang

hmmm... yea ive been working on common rail engines for 5 years now and have never even heard of this. i would imagine its just as common as a mechanical engine running away

Back