Paint on impeller blade

JasonCzerak

STUPID QUESTION..... I know paint on an impeller blade is for a visual queue to ensure it's spinning or not.

But it's also not to help balance the wheel is it?

I managed to swipe a good amount of that paint off. don't ask how I got cleaning stuff on that one side of the cloth, but I was trying to get my dirty finger prints off the impeller (checking for play after the first 300 miles) so I can have a visual to ensure my air cleaner was working...

Paint is normally for tach pickup when on the balancer AFAIK.

Paint is normally for tach pickup when on the balancer AFAIK.

So, the paint can contribute to the balancing of the wheel as far as weight?..... argh. I hope this didn't screw crap up with 5 days before dyno day. :(

Well, knowing these things spin awfully fast, I wasn't sure if the tiny bit of weight the paint makes would offset anything and result in a spectacular ending..

Kinda like when Mythbusters busted the postage stamp myth on a helicopter's rotor blade huh? Lol..you're not the only one that's thought like that!

I took the paint of the wheel on one of my 64mm chargers and it threw the balance off so bad the shaft broke and i had turbo pieces every where. And that was just with me spinning it by hand. Of course I have multple thumbs on each hand and can spin the wheels very fast.

Kinda like when Mythbusters busted the postage stamp myth on a helicopter's rotor blade huh? Lol..you're not the only one that's thought like that!

yeah, kinda like that.. but I don't think a helicopter's rotating that fast and the parts are a little stronger :)

I took the paint of the wheel on one of my 64mm chargers and it threw the balance off so bad the shaft broke and i had turbo pieces every where. And that was just with me spinning it by hand. Of course I have multple thumbs on each hand and can spin the wheels very fast.

Ron... :)

ha!.

Back