Pamhard/track bar

junkyard dog

Figured I'd share a few photos of today project for my 91. Not as much tech on here as could be sometimes and maybe this will help someone else one day. But built a panhard today, heim on one end and bushing on the the other one LH and one RH for adjusting. Wasn't able to match the full length of the drag link but angle matches. Significantly improved tightness of the steering as with most leaf sprung trucks it sucked after the lift and crossover conversion. For reference my truck has 4" springs up front.

Attachments

• 20200614_155242.jpg
    20200614_155242.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200614_155301.jpg
    20200614_155301.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200614_155311.jpg
    20200614_155311.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 0
yep I did that on my chevy crew after I went to crossover steer, and it had alot of slack in the steering. was undriveable til I did that.

Keep it same angle as the pitman arm and drag link. Don't see a problem, I'm sure tightened up response

Ford did it from the factory on the super duties. It tightens the front end feel a bunch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

At the time, Ford didn't design their Super Duty front suspensions with a bunch of wheel travel or "flex". They also used a shorter track bar with rubber bushings at both ends, but in general, a track bar on a leaf spring suspension is overkill and at worse, can result in bind. I've seen a few track bar mounts on leaf sprung trucks end up ripping themselves off the frame on trucks that also had lots of suspension travel. OTOH, if that truck isn't off roaded much, if at all, then the track bar will likely stay put.

The reason that track bars don't normally come with leaf sprung trucks is; First, leaf springs have enough lateral stability, to track straight and true without one. Exceptions to tracking true are when the spring bushings wear out or they are lifted with parts that give up some of that stability, for example, longer shackles that deflect or leverage their rubber bushings during suspension flex.
Second, when the suspension is flexed, the track bar swings in an arc, pivoting from the frame mounted bushing or joint. However, with leaf springs, the axle can't swing in that same arc. For it to do so requires that the leaf springs must allow for the axle to move side to side which they can't do. Or the spring bushings have to give, or the track bar has to bend, or the mount has to bend.

Going back to the Super Duty example, the track bars they used had rubber bushings at both ends which deflected enough to relieve the bind and the suspension itself was limited to about 3-4 inches of wheel travel.

Ed

At the time, Ford didn't design their Super Duty front suspensions with a bunch of wheel travel or "flex". They also used a shorter track bar with rubber bushings at both ends, but in general, a track bar on a leaf spring suspension is overkill and at worse, can result in bind. I've seen a few track bar mounts on leaf sprung trucks end up ripping themselves off the frame on trucks that also had lots of suspension travel. OTOH, if that truck isn't off roaded much, if at all, then the track bar will likely stay put.

The reason that track bars don't normally come with leaf sprung trucks is; First, leaf springs have enough lateral stability, to track straight and true without one. Exceptions to tracking true are when the spring bushings wear out or they are lifted with parts that give up some of that stability, for example, longer shackles that deflect or leverage their rubber bushings during suspension flex.

Second, when the suspension is flexed, the track bar swings in an arc, pivoting from the frame mounted bushing or joint. However, with leaf springs, the axle can't swing in that same arc. For it to do so requires that the leaf springs must allow for the axle to move side to side which they can't do. Or the spring bushings have to give, or the track bar has to bend, or the mount has to bend.

Going back to the Super Duty example, the track bars they used had rubber bushings at both ends which deflected enough to relieve the bind and the suspension itself was limited to about 3-4 inches of wheel travel.

Ed
Probably more "flex" than a lifted first gen. Another time that leaf springs don't have enough lateral strength is when you go to crossover steering with an 1100lb engine sitting over them, so a track bar that keeps the frame and axle from going opposite directions when you try to steer is a huge plus.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Probably more "flex" than a lifted first gen.

Those old Fords had about two/three inches of up travel before the axle hit the bump stops. And they had short,negatively arched leaf springs that were very stiff and didn't allow for much droop. The total travel designed into the suspension was only a few inches and a track bar in that design would hardly push the axle sideways, when it swung in it's arc. The rubber bushings took up the small difference. Add more wheel travel and that bad boy was known to bind. Best mod for that was to get rid of them

Another time that leaf springs don't have enough lateral strength is when you go to crossover steering with an 1100lb engine sitting over them, so a track bar that keeps the frame and axle from going opposite directions when you try to steer is a huge plus.

Lateral stability doesn't change when converting to cross-over steering. All that changes is the direction of steering force that the steering box creates. The amount of force is still the same, because it's still the same steering box using the same leverage (pitman arm)

No, leaf springs have sufficient lateral stability all by themselves, but they can lose lateral stability when parts wear out. Like spring bushings or shackle bushings.

Ed

Boy it sure took awhile for that ember to turn into a fire. Lol. But reason is because of going to cross over a few years ago, all new steering components, leaf bushings, KP rebuilt, it didnt have loose steering but the wheel travel was twice what it had with the wore out push/pull. This isn't the first vehicle I have built one for and yes it needs to be the same angle and length as the draglink if possible. I wasnt able to achieve the length on this application but it really tighten the steering up and made it alot more predictable to drive and no feeling like the tires are following the tracks in the road. Ford started using them in i know 86 on f350 trucks and they were really short, maybe 24" end to end. They have worked for a long time.

Back