Passing Tech - Aftermarket axles?

bgreen776

White Collar Fabricator
Have you had trouble in tech when running under 10.99 with stock full floating axle shafts, or is everyone actually running aftermarket axles?

:Cheer:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0
I ran into the rule years ago at our local NHRA track. Their lead tech contacted the divisional NHRA boss and was ruled OK by him using stock full floating axles.

Thanks Rob.

I haven't been called on it yet as I haven't quite broke into the 10's but I think we might end up with a brand new tech guy fresh out of school this year.

I don't see how they would know if they were stock or aftermarket anyways beings they cannot be identified with out pulling them apart on a full floater

I'll never second guess their ability to ruin my day. Its happened too many times.

NHRA will make exceptions on certain things....IRS cars are also technically illegal.

I wonder if its worth contacting the sanctioning body ahead of time for approval. Our track is an IHRA track, and the owner and I have a good relationship, but some of the track officials can be really tough to deal with.

The reasoning for the rule is to eliminate the axle clip issues. Not an issue on a floater.

I wonder if its worth contacting the sanctioning body ahead of time for approval. Our track is an IHRA track, and the owner and I have a good relationship, but some of the track officials can be really tough to deal with.

If it were me I'd just go with it, sounds like you are good to go anyways. Instead of drawing any unwanted attention upon yourself. lol

I understand the reason behind the rule. But I would like the big sanctioning bodies to acknowledge our full floating axles are far superior (in relation to the intent of this rule) to any non-full floating axle and do not need aftermarket axle shafts.

I hate ambiguity.

The actual issue that the full floating axle rule (it is specific to full floating axles), is that on cars with full floating axles, the flange is weak. If you look at a stock car axle, there is very little material where the axle shaft meets the flange. That aftermarket axles are solid in this area. What happens with the car axles is that the flange will break, and that allow the shaft itself to come straight out of the rear end. The hub, wheel, and tire are of course still attached to the car, it's just the shaft that comes out. You would be amazed at the speed that the shafts come out during a launch. I certainly would never have expected it. I have only seen it happen once, and this was on a Chevelle.

None of the truck full floating axles I have seen have this problem, and in fact you are hard pressed to see any difference externally in the factory or most aftermarket axles. Any of the tech inspectors that actually know why the rule exists don't have a problem with our trucks. It's the ones that just know it's a rule, that can cause problems.

The axle retention rule for the c-clip axles is a different rule.

Paul

Back