passing tech

TJSHOTROD

Anything I should know about passing tech at vegas and with nhra rules.

TJ

Aftermarket turbo-Fire Jacket needed.... Driveshaft loops..... How fast is the rig?

Never had a problem with Vegas tech in either cars or trucks.

Just get a $10 2007 NHRA handbook and go over it.

>14.00 you need all your lugnuts, DOT tires with some rubber on them, battery tied down, no leaks.

All the other stuff is based on your ET, MPH, Chassis, modifications, so you need to read up to make sure.

Any kind of "Aftermarket" injection. Like, propane, nitrous, water, or even an aftermarket turbo of any kind, and you need a fire jacket.
Make sure there is NO mud on the underside of your truck at all.
Batteries are secured.
No leaks at all.
If you have aggressive tires, they may ask you to NOT launch on the main "dark" patches that everyone else uses. (The tires just chew it up, and then no one else has traction.) You will not be very popular if you screw up the track for everyone else.
-Good Luck, and have fun!

I have ran a best of 12.64 but I am going to spray it and try to get a 11.

TJSHOTROD said:

If you get into the 11's (but slower then 11.49), crankshaft center line height can't be more then 31 inches. Might be a problem with your 37's. You will need a fire jacket, drive shaft loops if running slicks, snell K98 or later helmet, water catch can of at least a pint (the factory coolant recovery works, just make sure it's empty), some tracks won't allow anti-freeze (though I haven't had a problem at Vegas), batteries securely held down, no fluid leaks.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head...

Good luck!
Paul

TJSHOTROD said:

Don't you do it ya bastage! :D

He hasn't even gotten to low 12's yet; I think his best is a 12.7 or 12.8. But then he did chicken out and take his lift and all off now so .... :D

Some pertinent thoughts to remember when going thru tech, with a NHRA official.
First rule ….. The official is always right, even when they are mistaken or misinformed; arguing the rules or the interpretation of the rules with them is futile. Their ruling on that day is final,, help it to be in your favor, NHRA back’s their techs up, and may reverse the ruling another day, but today this overworked, underappreciated offical is you best avenue to get thru tech.

. If you approach them with the respect that they have earned from years of doing this you will get farther.

If they have a problem with any thing on your truck , the first response should not be to question them , but quickly and positively tell them you are glade that brought this to your attention, and could they possible spend a little time to explain the rule so that you might bring you truck in to compliance. If by chance they are truly wrong , this question will cause them to read farther in to the rule book, most of the time in front of you , and consult other tech’, and the NHRA procedures manual. some times they find they are mistaken with this route and then reverse themselves

In my experience if you truly have a minor issue, your positive assurance that you will imminently do you best to bringing you truck in to compliance will usually get you a fix it before the next race..

one other thing have only one person talking to them ,

Little things for a truck faster then 11.50

Make sure the wheel studs come thru the nut.
Make sure your battery is held down with a strap and not just the factory hold down.
Empty water puke tanks
In date seat belts

Last edited:
Back