Picked up a TDI Jetta last night...

Chris Tobin

Well I finally found myself a TDI project car... Last night I picked up a Salsa Red '06 Jetta TDI that was in real nice shape with 88k miles on it...:rockwoot:

I'll be doing quite a few things to the little VW so look out for it in a future issue of Diesel World.

Here's a pic from the ad, I haven't had time to shoot the car yet as the weather has been nasty around here...

Last edited:
Congrats sir, that right there is the car I want one of these days.

Congrats sir, that right there is the car I want one of these days.

Thanks, I really like the car and we are taking it on a road trip very soon!!!

Better start looking soon, the prices are climbing as fast as the fuel prices are rising!!! I found this one on Craigslist from a small dealer... There are some good deals out there still!!!

Thanks Billy, Hopefully it works out well for me and the family... I expect to tear into it soon...

Check the camshaft asap! I just did one last week on a car that only has 92k on it. Colt Cams has a fixed cam for it.

Give me a ring if you have any questions on how to do it or what to look for.

Gonna be checking the cam and changing the timing belt monday morning before our road trip...

Great find! Looking forward to some TDI articles! Okay, I would prefer a MK4 for the articles, but I'll take anything ;)

Just got back from my trip to NYC... It took just over 16 gallons of fuel for the 800+ mile trip up!!!! Yes guys that is an average of just under 50 MPG!!!! Man am I stoked!!!

Just got back from my trip to NYC... It took just over 16 gallons of fuel for the 800+ mile trip up!!!! Yes guys that is an average of just under 50 MPG!!!! Man am I stoked!!!

It does average 37mpg at 100mph too :) (close course of course....)

On long road trips, keep an eye on the oil level. I burned up 1/2 quart in 2000 miles. But I wasn't exactly nice to the car either.

This was with the girls 06'.

Thanks for the heads up Jason, we did almost 2000 total so I'll check it again...

I was doing about 10 over the limit most of the trip so I wasn't babying it but wasn't flogging it either... I'm very happy that I finally found one!

Mine tends to get a bit better mileage if I can keep the needle between an 8 and a 9 on the speedo, weird LOL

NICE!!!!!! Mine definately got better mileage going up to NYC than coming home when we were pushing it a little faster after a semi cought fire and closed down the freeway in Virginia delaying us for over 3 hours!!!

I've averaged 51 while running about 80 mph through the Rockies. Never have tried an "easy" drive to see what it will do, but I've run around 53 mpg on some tanks.

Back