Piston coatings....yes/no...where/why???

cumminsX

Can't make up my mind
I am looking for some advice on my build, it is an 04.5 motor and so far it is bored .020 over. I have cummins pistons and I don't plan to cut them, the cam is a drop in and does not need any relief. I will be looking for 750-800hp on fuel. Do you guys think that it is worth it to have the pistons coated? I have heard that some coatings don't last and can flake and cause problems. Also I don't know where to have this sort of thing done, or what coatings are the best for us, if any. The motor will have dual pumps, 62/S480, ported head with new intake, fire rings or O-rings, ect.... I know there are a few of you with similar set ups, did you do coated pistons? Thanks in advance.

I am looking for some advice on my build, it is an 04.5 motor and so far it is bored .020 over. I have cummins pistons and I don't plan to cut them, the cam is a drop in and does not need any relief. I will be looking for 750-800hp on fuel. Do you guys think that it is worth it to have the pistons coated? I have heard that some coatings don't last and can flake and cause problems. Also I don't know where to have this sort of thing done, or what coatings are the best for us, if any. The motor will have dual pumps, 62/S480, ported head with new intake, fire rings or O-rings, ect.... I know there are a few of you with similar set ups, did you do coated pistons? Thanks in advance.

not necessary but, anything to help reduce the heat on top of the piston is worth it IMO. Teflon skirts are a good idea also.

The coatings you've heard of flaking are very poorly done. Not all coatings are equal.... stay away from someone doing it in a kiln in their garage! Doing it right will run you around $500. This is where I had mine done.....

http://www.swaintech.com/

Swain looks good, does anyone know of a place out here in the west? I guess shipping them out there would not be to bad if I decide to do this. The truck will be a daily driver and also be taken down the track and hooking to a sled.

I used embee performance coatings in so cal. They did my pistons head and valves. I recently pulled the engine apart and the coatings are still there.

I say go for it. I will be doing it to mine when I rebuild it later this year, I will be using swaintech.

What benefits are there to coating the head and valves?
I was thinking about the head and valves to keep the heat off the seats to prevent them from dropping?

Tuliped & coated valves we do:

TulipCoat.jpg

A good thermal barrier helps components withstand extreme temperatures better, and increases power production.

I would go with Swaintech for pistons. I got Swain Tech GoldCoat™ Ceramic Armor™ Ceramic Thermal Barrier on piston tops and Swain Tech PC-9™ Solid Film Lubricant on the skirts. Think cost was around $400.
Pics
Picture016-4.jpg

Picture017-2.jpg

I picked up the pistons from the machine sop today, I think I will send them to Swain. You who have done buisness with them, what knid of turn around time was there? thanks.

The pistons above we did for Texas Cowboy the cost was 420 bucks , the turn around time was a week.

We have used Swain-Tec alot.
The turn around times vary by the time of year, You can call first and check but usally we have them back 2 weeks or so.

If we're talking a daily driver I hear coated pistons increase warmup time considerably especially in cold weather, is this true? How about just coating the bowls as a compromise?

I have never seen any improvement in warm up times. The cost is the same at Swain Tech .

Do the whole top ,cheap insurance when you start running alot of fuel.

It will be a daily driver but I am not to worried about warm up time. I will be coating the entire top.

Steel piston with full phosphate coating, skirt manganese phosphate, piston pins DLC coated.

Billetmonotherm.jpg

Back