Piston selection for a 6.7

1000orbust

As the title states I'm wavering back and forth on my piston selection. I have late 04.5-07 injectors for my 6.7 Cummins and I'm stuck between the industrial bowl design which I've read great things about and diamond customs with a late 04.5-07 bowl design (if I should ask for an industrial bowl design I don't know). I know my injectors will work with both but I feel like the industrial bowl will give me more flexibility with timing. Are diamonds pistons really necessary for a build under 1500hp? My goal is 12-1400. The truck will never see the road and will be used for competition drag racing and sped pulling only. The last thing I want to do is burn up a piston after putting all this time and money into my engine build. Any opinions from people that have real experience would be appreciated.

What is known as the 6.7L "industrial" piston has the same bowl design concept as the '04.5-07 Cummins automotive piston, and the cone angle in the factory application is only 4° wider.

Last edited:
Weston,
If you had to pick one bowl over the other knowing what you do about pistons, which one would you go with. Do you have anymore thoughts? Do you have concerns or have you seen failures with the industrial pistons at this power level? Thanks.

Last edited:
As the title states I'm wavering back and forth on my piston selection. I have late 04.5-07 injectors for my 6.7 Cummins and I'm stuck between the industrial bowl design which I've read great things about and diamond customs with a late 04.5-07 bowl design (if I should ask for an industrial bowl design I don't know). I know my injectors will work with both but I feel like the industrial bowl will give me more flexibility with timing. Are diamonds pistons really necessary for a build under 1500hp? My goal is 12-1400. The truck will never see the road and will be used for competition drag racing and sped pulling only. The last thing I want to do is burn up a piston after putting all this time and money into my engine build. Any opinions from people that have real experience would be appreciated.

If you have late 04.5-07 injectors, wouldn't they be 124*? Those don't match up with the closed bowl.

I'm going to be running the QSB industrial pistons in my 6.4 build utilizing my 06 5.9 head and Exergy BMS 150% late pattern injectors.

If you have late 04.5-07 injectors, wouldn't they be 124*? Those don't match up with the closed bowl.

It would depend who they are from. They are either the stock VCO nozzles (124*) or they are the BMS (128*) nozzles.

Never mind. I was thinking one of the options he was considering was comparable to the original closed bowl. It was a brain fart.

or they are the BMS (128*) nozzles.

They are not a "special" nozzle, companies can call them Bosch Motor Sport if they want, but they are simply from the Case tractor application, there are both VCO and micro-blind sac type versions.

FWIW I burned a whole set of CR pistons in my mechanical 5.9 this year in 3 pulls and a handful of dyno passes at about 1200 HP. However my engine was running a good bit of compression. It has Diamonds in it now without a shred of trouble.

What about D&J FSR Pistons? They have been proven good for street and race use.

I have a set of late 5.9 design FSR's from Drew going into my build here soon.

Last edited:
Those are what I'm planning on going with and having Weston design the bowls.

Back