Piston selection for ppump 24v

DieselheaD

Found a thread from 09' that died out. It was about using CR pistons in a ppump 24v application.

I'm looking to run 160*+ injectors at around 30* timing and
power up high with a big single turbo, drag racing.

Instead of doing a complete custom piston i would like to use a std Mahle design and slightly mod the bowl for best performance/price per power ratio.

If you could pick which would you go with?

-vp
-early 03-04 cr
-late 05-07 cr
-qsb cr

If you want an old thread opened, send a moderator a PM and a link to said thread, and they will gladly open it for you.

My guess would be the big bowl CR's, with some of the center crown piece removed. See if you can find someone to mill that part out. The big angle injectors would work with it with big timing.

Thats my $.02 hopefully a few of the big injector guru's will chime in.

I have standard SO VP pistons in mine, its out for some upgrades right now but I am going back with SO pistons again but with the lip removed which opened them up to 64mm.

I'm waiting on mark with my 6.7 shortblock so i don't have to many options now. I'll have them cut for valve clearance thats about it. Any suggestions?

I asked the same question and ended up going with SO vp pistons due to the fact that they have the most bowl volume.

I used 04.5-07 pistons in my puller. Ppump 24v, 36* timing and four .125 thousandth valve reliefs cut. Seems to work just fine.

Also running a set of Weston's 5x20 injectors which have a wide spray angle to them.

I used so pistons in mine and I love them. I was gonna use the wide bowl CR pistons but went with these for more compression. FWIW mine are coated though.

Back