Piston/Valve Clearance With 182/214

EverydayDiesel

I drink diesel
Hello,

I have QSB pistons that I need to send off to get coated but I want to make sure this is going to work. Everything below came out of a 6.7

I have QSB .020 over pistons
Carrillo rods
Stock 6.7 crank
Hamilton cam 182/214

Hamilton says
It is a "drop in" cam if you have no more than .018" piston protrusion and no less than .038" valve face depth on a 24v, and no less than .055" valve face depth on a 12v with a 99 intake centerline.

The builder/machine shop says that they will be decking the head (unsure how much at the moment) and might be decking the block.

My question is, do I need to cut valve reliefs with this combination? I would hate to send these off to have them coated to find out I needed to have them cut.

Thanks in advance.

Best thing to do is deck the block, deck the head, (hold off on sinking valves in to the correct depth at this point) then mock up the parts and check clearances. If you find it is close and a tick more valve depth will provide adequate clearance, do that. If you find you need .020 or more, I would cut the Pistons and leave the valves as shallow as possible.

Thanks. The trouble I am having with that is there is a shop that is assembling the short block (which is beyond my abilities) I will call the shop tomorrow since they are closed now but I was curious if anyone had this setup or had seen this setup before and could say yes/no that setup will work as a general rule. I know every setup is different.

There is a decent amount of insurance with those specs listed above for "drop in" cams. Very little for the 188-220, more so for the 182-214 and even more for the 178-208.

After the pistons get installed check pistons one and six to make sure block is square, call the office, ask for Ryan and we will go over everything for you. That being said, the specs above are not "Hard limits"

Cheers,
Zach

Back