pistons

JakeDiesel

About how much more heat can the mahel steel pistons take over the stock pistons.
And if you get them coated how much does that help.
Thanks Courious Jake lol

Billet rods to boot......sure wish they were a bit lighter though......(the pistons I mean).......

Billetmonotherm.jpg

Can you even get the monotherms? Kinda sucks they dont have them for 12V.

Keep in mind these pistons will be lower on compression, they are 400 grams heavier but i know they are working on some new designs & ratios. These were the first batch. On the next batch i know they will be even better. Yes they are a little pricey "but" you can get by with murder when it comes to egt's.......They arent so expensive when you look at buying a mariene piston, then flycutting, then coating.

The added weight scares me, unless your going with a billet rod. Especially pulling, you see driveline failures the engine unloads, and the you rip the bolts right out of the rod. OF course if your running a billet rod then the threads might be alot stronger.

FWIW, I have a set of Aries pistons for sale in the for sale section. .020 / 11.1 comp.

BBD

Yes the weight did scare us at first & we watched it closley. After many 5200 rpm hits we tore it down for the winter. Measured the rods.....All was well & we put them back in along with the same bearings. Stock brazillian rods.

Yes the weight did scare us at first & we watched it closley. After many 5200 rpm hits we tore it down for the winter. Measured the rods.....All was well & we put them back in along with the same bearings. Stock brazillian rods.

Great info, I am thinking when you run down the pulling track at 4000+ a piece of the driveline breaks, and the cylinder pressure that was pushing down on the piston, dissappears as the motor becomes unloaded. Then starting to rip the bolt out of the rod. Still great info.
With those blazing EGT's have you coated the cylinder head? What did the head look like, lots of cracks?

4 valves were bent. We think thats occuring when we shut the engine down & there is still so much heat. If the valve is open it is distorting a little. I have since been turning the engine over a little right after I shut it down to keep the valves true......I dont know for sure if thats whats going on but it makes sence. Egts are a 2300. Nitrous as a intercooler is a bunch of b.s. Sure its cool going in but it sure is hot comeing out!!!! We are fixing to go to twins & get rid of the super high egt`s

great info here John. i know i'll be building an engine here in a few months 5.9 or 6.7 will be the big question.

Stock rods are holding that nice.
2300* and no problems I think they are worth the $ if they can take that heat.

Back