Plate profile vs. power?'s

G1625S

So a friend of mine has a similar truck to mine. His is a 98 12v, completely virgin. Charger wound NOT light under about 1900. Every anti-tamper on the pump is/was intact. Turbine housing is a non-gated 14, only mod I can find. When the charger lights, there's a decent puff and the truck pulls hard and rolls off at 2600, as it should. I figured a little pre-boost fuel would have him spooling earlier and he would be happy with the power. He has gauges, but it's a work truck and generally runs 11-12k gvw, so a lot of fuel is out of the question. Upon getting the AFC removed, I find that it is full forward and the plate is also full forward. Odd for a stock pump? The 'smoke' screw was showing about 10 threads. I ran it in two threads shy of the stop nut. Kept everything else the same. Starts to light nicely around 12-1300 now and runs well. He has an updated ceramic clutch, fwiw. To the mat up a decent (15%) grade in 4th, it will touch 1500 at 31psi. Runs great, no complaints, but here's my question. Shouldn't my truck be similar? Before the 4kgsk, timing and vgt, my truck is not too far removed from his, except for a '0' plate. I hardly can't floor my truck. 3/4 throttle will net 40psi boost and 60psi drive. With the hx35 and stock timing, a 30psi boost gauge would be wrapped around in 3rd gear. Sorry for the long post, it's just that these two trucks should be so similar, yet they behave completely differently, and I'm referencing back to when I had stock charger, springs, timing, etc. The only known difference is the plate. Mine is homegrown 0, and here is what I found in his pump: Thoughts? Oh, his timing is definitely slipped, but I figured that would produce more bottom end and it really doesn't....

plate.jpg

The different exhaust housing could play a slight role. Also, his has a 215 pump and yours most likely has a 175, his timing will retard as rack travels forward. His has a stock plate and yours had a 0?

when the plate kits first came out they came with new break off screws, so you could take it back to the dealer....

fix his timing, then run it with no plate

Shouldn't my 96 5speed be a 215 pump? I was wondering about 'new' anti tamper screws, thanks for clarifying that. Was thinking of pulling the plate, but then I'd be into making sure the governor arm is in adjustment and it's just too dern cold for that right now! I thought his truck would run stronger is all. Do need to check his f/p though...

I don't have 'em right offhand, but I'll check in the AM. I ASSumed that all 96+ 5speeds were 215's....guess I made my first mistake again, lol!

Appreciate the input. If anything, supposing for the moment I don't have a 215 pump, I'd think the 98 would be a stronger running truck. Though I'm reasonably sure I have stock sticks, I can't be sure. All I know is that for my mods, I've got a LOT more fuel available than the 98 and my plate is roughly amidships....

If neither of you you purchased your trucks new, it's a big assumption to think they have all of the stock components.

I bought my 98' 12valve that appeared to be stock, when I pulled an injector, I found out it has marine 4x.013" injectors, the fuel plate was not stock, and it free revs to 3200 rpm...hmm 3k GSK? The tamper wire was still intact over the governor plug, which leads me to believe that if it does have a GSK, it was installed through the top of the pump when the aftermarket plate was installed.

The tranny felt really sloppy as well, that's why I picked up the truck for a decent price. When I pulled it apart, all of the clutches were brand new, it had a billet input shaft, and the line pressure was hovering around 115-120psi which is 15-20psi higher than stock. I also found out that it has DTT voltage regulator to prevent the tranny from going into limp mode due to higher than stock line pressure. The stock converter was just really sloppy and made the tranny feel weak.

Long story short, don't waste your time comparing two trucks with unknown backgrounds.

I bought my 98' 12valve that appeared to be stock, when I pulled an injector, I found out it has marine 4x.013" injectors, the fuel plate was not stock, and it free revs to 3200 rpm...hmm 3k GSK? The tamper wire was still intact over the governor plug, which leads me to believe that if it does have a GSK, it was installed through the top of the pump when the aftermarket plate was installed.

My 98 would free rev to 3500 before I would chicken out, but it still had stock springs. It sure wouldn't fuel anywhere near that high though.

My 98 would free rev to 3500 before I would chicken out, but it still had stock springs. It sure wouldn't fuel anywhere near that high though.

You do have a 215 pump though, correct? They have a lighter governor assembly.

Back