Please Read....totally confused

GENESIS01

Learning as I Go
Ok...Basics:

2001 2500 Auto. with approx. 312000 on the odo. 2wd.

Purchased the truck in Nov. of 07 with 253035 on the odo.

When we first bought the truck it was clear "something" had been done. It was throwing out some pretty serious smoke and was decently fast. About a month if that later, my lift pump and fuel pump died and we had a new pump and lift pump installed. Truck still blew a good amount of black smoke. Before install the computer was checked for DTC's and wire tap.

About 6 months ago from today we tried using a max micro tuner from superchips on my truck, superchip accepted my vin. but it was obvious that no performance was added, (superchip stated it was a successful upload). When attempting to pull the chip off, the programmer stated failure and my computer started throwing DTC's. So for a failsafe we took the truck to the dealership and had my computer flashed (very important). After having the computer flashed I still had the same smoke content and horsepower. [Note that the entire time I have had this truck I was under a huge impression the original owner just installed larger injectors].

So...this past weekend we borrowed a friend's smarty, he pulled it off his truck and we tried it on mine...smarty read a successful upload, and I could tell a slight difference (little more smoke and acceleration from about 1000 to 2000 r.p.m.). We went to pull the tune off my truck and OH MY GOSH at the horsepower LOSS!!!! I barely put out any smoke now and I pulled a trailer to the strip (could hop right up to 75) but on the way back it struggled obtaining the speed limit (24 ft. gooseneck trailer).

What has happened, better question, what was originally on my truck?

Please help.

Thank you.

Where was your truck originally from?

Back in the day, there was an option to have your ECM flashed by Bob Wagner.. This was pre-Smarty days. The ECM was called a CaTCHER ECM, and it is somewhat likely that there were a few left out there in the world.

However the dealer reflash SHOULD have gotten rid of the CaTCHER...

I'm not sure what to suggest you should do now. You may have lost the boost fooler that was part of the CaTCHER, so now the truck is defueling.

There may have been a different flash.. Such as a bully dog, super chips... Something that also did boost fueling. What was your max boost before, and what is it now?

I too want to know where this truck came from. If its anywhere close to indiana, I bet Jim Jessup tuned it. But like Lucky said, the dealer reflash should have cleared that out and replaced it with the latest dealer software.

Get in touch with the fella your wife bought it from. He might know something....

The truck was originally purchased in West palm beach...then sold to Arrigo dodge in west palm. The truck was then bought by an auctioner and we bought it from ebay. It was in fort Lauderdale fl. I live in Ocilla Ga. But when the dealership flashed it...all it did was erase the DTC's. Or so it seemed...

Any thoughts?

With the hy I was only pushing about 20 flat. I have a bigger turbo now...but I have no clue what it is now.

P.S. I don't have a wife lol. Im 18.

I'd be interested to know what the boost is now.

I think 20 is the defueling point... So if you're not making more than 20 with a bigger turbo and more fuel, something is up.

With the hy I was only pushing about 20 flat. I have a bigger turbo now...but I have no clue what it is now.

P.S. I don't have a wife lol. Im 18.

My bad! Ocilla is right down the road! Bought my 07 3500 from Quality Dodge. Is that the dealer that reflashed it? Seems like some good folks down there. you might can carry it back to them and let them have a look at it????

My bad! Ocilla is right down the road! Bought my 07 3500 from Quality Dodge. Is that the dealer that reflashed it? Seems like some good folks down there. you might can carry it back to them and let them have a look at it????

Yep! It was Quality Dodge.

They are ok I guess, I wouldn"t give em my truck to work on anything major though. :st::ft:

Back