Plugging the EGR cooler

Dalpilot

Joe Nobody!
Hey quick question. I am planning to put a freeze plug in the egr cooler from the exhaust up pipe. Does that thing only get exhaust from one side, the passenger side, or do I have to plug up 2?:drool: I am not a smart man!:doh:

Dalpilot said:
Hey quick question. I am planning to put a freeze plug in the egr cooler from the exhaust up pipe. Does that thing only get exhaust from one side, the passenger side, or do I have to plug up 2?:drool: I am not a smart man!:doh:

ON the passinger side the pippe that comes up from the manifold needs to be welded.

dj:evil

Thanks DJ. I am planning on welding a piece in there. I thought there was only one. Is it easiest to get at from underneath or from under the hood?

You need to get in from the top, bottom, and side. Make sure you have 3' of socket extension, either in assorted lengths, or one bigass long one.

I Just did this mod recently and it's super easy, take off fender liner, bend the bracket the fender liner was connected to(more room to reach), remove exhaust manifold, undo bolts on pipe and clamp (this is where the 3' extension is needed or a lot of short ones). Plug Ypipe, reverse process and done.

What did you guys plug the pipe with, or did you weld it shut???

I plugged mine with a freeze plug, I used a dremel tool and grinded a little off the inside of the Ypipe and pounded in the freeze plug and reinstalled.

Theres no gasket on the exhaust manifold, and I have looked and theres no evidence of a leak nor any sound like a leak so there mustn't be a leak.

Back