Pluming Aux Tank

displacedtexan

$500 PREMIUM MEMBER
I've got an aux fuel tank/toolbox I'm gonna be installing pretty soon. Not sure exactly how yet. I over analyze everything.

I want to gravity feed, hard plumbing from the tank to below the bed (no chance of rubbing a hole through the hose)

I want a ball valve for a manual shutoff.

I want a filter for it (will it still drain the entire aux tank, or real close to it going through a filter?) Thinking this filter- Perma-Cool 81794

I'm thinking galv is a no go, right? Stainless for the hard pieces?

Biggest issue at this point is where to tap into the existing tank/lines. The aux tank is aluminum, and vented.

Northern tools sells a kit for like 60 bucks. I had one on an OBS powestroke that worked good. It connects thru the factory filler neck.

aux fuel tank

I instaled a tool/fuel tank from Northern tool 3 times the tank showed up crushed or dented but they where good about it and I did get a good one the tanks are great I bought the 90gal. one it's only 24" so I still have a 6' bed with the tank anyway they have a 3/8" pipe plug on driverside corner at the bottom I bought a brass 3/8" male to female 90* screwed that into the tank drilled a 9/16 hole on floor of bed and screwed a 3/8"x6" brass nip. into the 90* and put the 6" nip. through the floor now the tank is in place and the nip. is under the bed you have to use a 6" nip. to get lower then the cross ribs them I screwed a 3/8" m/f 90* onto the 6" nip then I installed a 3/8" ball valve then a 3" brass nip. out of the ball valve into a 1/2" electric (12v) silionoid paid $65.00 (PM me I can tell you where) thenI screwed a brass 3/8" pipe to barb (for hose ) then I bought a 1 1/2" brass barb to barb and a 3/8"mail thred to barb (same one that I used at the one end of elec.silon.) I drilled a 9/16" hole in the side of the 1 1/2" brass barb put the 3/8" male barb in the hole and sodered it so now it's a 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x3/8" barb (they don't sell it you have to mak it) I then cut the 1 1/2" fuel filler hose and put this in hose clamped then I installed a CLEAR 3/8" hose from the barb on the silon. to the barb on the filler hose ( I used a CLEAR fuel line so IF I need to see if there is a problem with flow I just look at the line and don't have to take it off) then I ran a 12volt line from key to a green light up switch on dash to the elec. silon. and a ground wire from silon. to frame or bed cross rail don't wire to a steady power source or if you forget to hit the switch the fuel will keep flowing and overflowthe tank and go all over the ground :eek: The great part in that I gat all the brass pipe fittings and hose at HOMEDEPOT CHEAP under $40.00 the elec. silon. $65.00 the light up switch $5.00 at auto parts store------ as you drive down the raod and the tank gets low hit the switch and it will transfer fuel to the factory tank just shut it off when the gauge reads full . I hope this helps and good luck:rockwoot:

Back