Polishing a valve cover

haz-mat19

What is the best way to polish the unfinished area on the valve cover? I want to polish it up, I am sure it involves sandpaper, but what grit, or any other trick, thanks in advance:thankyou2: :Cheer:

Get ahold of BCSCUMMINS and ask him. He polished his entire valve cover with a dremel so I'm sure he can give you some insight.

I suck at it, so I let Clint do it. I believe he stripped the paint with a strip wheel on the buffer, then started with 320grit, then buffed, then 400 grit, then buff again, then 600, then buff again, 800 grit, then buff again. Several more cycles of 800 grit, then buff until it it's smoooooth.

holly cow :bang :doh: , I knew it would be hard, but geez. Maybe it can wait. :thankyou2: for the info guys:Cheer:

I bead blasted mine to get the paint off, then wet sanded all the flat areas with 800-1000 grit sandpaper I think. I don't remember exactly, I know it was pretty shiny when I got done....I repainted some areas though, I would guess a buffing wheel would help get all the hard too reach places...

A great paint stripper is called aircraft paint remover. It comes in a spray can at o'reilly's or walmart. All you do is spray it on, wait 15 mins, and hose it off. It literally bubbles the paint off. It's awesome. Funny thing though is that it states directly on the can not to use on aircraft.

BgBlDodge said:
A great paint stripper is called aircraft paint remover. It comes in a spray can at NAPA or walmart. All you do is spray it on, wait 15 mins, and hose it off. It literally bubbles the paint off. It's awesome. Funny thing though is that it states directly on the can not to use on aircraft.

Fixed that for you....LOL

:what:

Attachments

• IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 49
Back