Poor fuel mileage

tlse1

Need more Input
I have a customer with an 05 cr 4x4 automatic 3500 dually.Mods-S&B air intake,Catalyst lightened,straight through 4" muffler,Bully Dog Triple Dog w/outlook,.The customer just uses it for light towing and daily driving and wanted a little better performance and mileage.After installing everything above he said he averaging 18-19 mpg and was happy with the performance.He took it in for warranty work at dodge for something for the front end and while it was there dodge reflashed it.I had him remove the Bully dog program before he took it in.Ever since he got it back and reprogrammed the Bully dog back on the truck his mileage has been in the toilet.They had just recently brought the truck to me to have a quickspool 2 cam installed and I also updated the Triple dog with the latest updates.It seemed to run great with the cam and triple dog and I told them to clock the mileage.Right now with 6k lbs on the back of the truck they averaged 9 mpg and unloaded 16 mpg.The truck starts fine,Rail pressure looks good, no codes,I talked to Bully Dog and they didn't have much for suggestions.The only thing I can think of is the dodge reflash might have had a corrupted file.Any suggestions would be helpful thanks.P.S. the truck only has 50k on it.

tell him to trade me and be done.
haha sorry, no helpful input.

I average around 17 to 19 mpg give or take unloaded and around 11 to 12 mpg loaded with about the same weight as him ( but that's pulling in the mountains ). All I have done to mine is a Edge Juice w/ attitude, AEM intake, and an Aero turbine muffler and no cat.

The software Dodge used is the only thing I can think of, must have done something funky to the truck.

Thanks for the input fellas.I think him and everyone else me included keep hearing about these guys doing 20+mpg out of there cr's.So I think the owner is expecting a miracle cure for the poor mileage.They were also using the in cab computer for there mileage calculations.With the bully dog on there I don't know how accurate that is on top of that they live in Canyon City so there is not much air up there.They are supposed to take it back to dodge to see if it might have gotten a bad flash I will let you know if anything come of it.

Well hell if they are going off of the overhead.......mine says I average 23.7 mpg! LOL Mine didn't change though once I put the chip on, it's always said that.

Good to know I normally don't pay attention to the in cab mpg.Heck my 99 says it get 36mpg:hehe:Usually I don't get complaints with fuel mileage most people any more just want more power to beat the next guy and damn the fuel mileage.Thank you guys for telling the truth on your mileage at least that gives me a baseline to go off of so I can tell the customer he is in the ball park with everyone else.

By the way that quick spool cam rocks.The throttle response and low end power increase is considerably noticeable.Just the cam mod and no programmer you would think it had a 50hp program in it.It is that noticeable of a change.It also dropped about 150deg of egts over all .I have installed other performance cams and had not had this much of a difference in feel of the truck.

Do I need 4:10's ?????????????
and what will it do to my mpg?

(right now with no load my tack is about 1,650 at 70 mph)

I have an 06 cummins with 37's and 3:73's. the truck is mostly stock accept ive got a bully dog pmt, 4'' exhaust (no cat), afe stage 2.

i never pull more than 8,000lbs. and the trany (auto) has the valve body and converter upgraded.

thanx for the help! !

flyboy
View Public Profile
Send a private message to flyboy
Send email to flyboy
Find More Posts by flyboy
Add flyboy to Your Buddy List

Today, 11:27 AM #34
flyboy

Name: flyboy
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 13 also the mpg i'm getting now is about 13.3 with winterized fuel. 350 (to 400 in the summer) to a tank. 34gal tank - figure i burn 30 at a time.

thanx.

Back