pop and crack at high rpm

dsl kicks gas

Runnin on Broke
friend of mine wanted me to drive his truck to see why it cuts out and pops and cracks at 3500+ rpm......im thinking gov springs were not put in right.....not cranked down tight enough. because all the 4ks i have put in will turn 4300-4500 and his is lucky to hit 4k. looking for you alls input.

truck is
96 180hp
191 dvs
5x.012 injectors
16* timming
this was all done by the previous owner, im going to look at it tomorrow night, check stud protrousion(how ever you say it) and bump the timming up a little more and check to make sure the dv;s are 191's

it runs good, but acts like a truck with 3k's........could it have shimmed 3ks?

It could be a fuel pressure problem, but more likely than that would be timing. 16* is a little low for 5x.012's, 191's and high rpm.

i didnt get to mess with it today. ill try bumping the timming tomorrow. how much will it clear up the smoke? it smokes like a freekin train.

Mine did the same thing until i replaced the mechanical fuel pump for a fass.

First guess is timing, second guess is low fuel pressure. I guess it would be easier to change the fuel filter and stretch out the overflow valve spring first, then bump up the timing. Minimum 18*, 20* would be better if he wants to run up there all the time. Try over torquing the stock head bolts, see if you can tighten them down to 130 ft/lbs without stretching them too much.

EDIT: I DON'T SEE 60 PSI VALVE SPRINGS LISTED THERE, YOU ARE PROBABLY ALSO FLOATING VALVES!!!!

Mine did the same thing until i replaced the mechanical fuel pump for a fass.

it could be a fuel issue, but I've run 5x14's w/ a benched 215 pump and had no problems running up to 4,000rpm... 100% factory fuel system (had to replace the lift pump after a B20 fill up, and I replaced the OFV as preventative maint at ~180k)

it could be a fuel issue, but I've run 5x14's w/ a benched 215 pump and had no problems running up to 4,000rpm... 100% factory fuel system (had to replace the lift pump after a B20 fill up, and I replaced the OFV as preventative maint at ~180k)

On my set up I ran 2 different mechanical fuel pumps and a new overflow valve. Same both ways, what was interesting was on the dyno it would run fine to 4000 no problem, but on the street once I got on it hard at 3400 it would sputter like crazy. I gave up and just replaced the thing with a fass and haven't had any more troubles. This was also on a benched 215 pump. I would say it is definatly chearper to try timing before purchasing a fuel system though, my timing was fine so I went the fuel route.

Back