Possible damage due to egt

coues7

I recently just finished all of the standard mods (fuel screw, fuel pin, gauges) to my 1993 5-speed and pulled a huge load yesterday. Thinking back on it I tried stay out of red (1300-1600 degrees), but I did go into and stay in the red zone a few times. I know for a fact I was at 1500 for about 15 seconds. What signs would I see if I've damaged something. The truck only has 77,000 original miles and I'm sick to my stomach that I may have damaged my engine. Should I pull the head off? What all is entailed in that?

I'll be adding 4" exhaust this weekend as well as my new intake.....they were not on at the time :( I guess I could have lost around 300 degrees with those on

Scott

I've pegged my 1800 degree gauge so many times i can't count. I only worry about how long i hold it there. If the engine runs normally and doesn't smoke or knock , keep on truckin...

You Should fine. Now Just work on cooling your truck off with EGTS. Bump the timing up a little too should help too.

Check for blowby, if there isn't an abnormal amount then id say your good to go.

If it idles the same and isn't blowing a mess of oil out of the road draft tube and dipstick tube I'd say your fine. Iv e been wrong though.

Really ? You're worried about 1500 degrees for 15 seconds?
It's fine....they're built to do that.
Quit staring at your pyro and drive the damn truck.

I don't even know where the road draft tube is....as far as I can tell its still idling at 725-750 ish RPM.

It's fine man...you didn't hurt the thing with that piss ant 1500 degrees.

Dude.......big black oil covered tube under your engine.start the truck,crawl under there and look for a 1/2in or 3/4in tube that goes to no where,insert in mouth and breath normally. Seriously, your fine.you'd know if you screwed something. Anyway,if your not breaking em your not really driving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've driven 1100 miles with only one stop(besides fuel) and 1250-1500 the whole way, still makes over 650hp and drives ad runs normal.... Don't worry about it

If the needle its held against the peg on the far end of the gauge and then you pull a hill, you might have something to worry about..
I swing 1500 going down the track, andI am about to try for more

You would be surprised how hot a stock first gen runs. You have nothing to worry about.

Back