possible leak?

Rob_Bones

I H8T ULSD
Thus far the truck has an H&S Mini Max, DPF delete and I unplugged the EGR non-sense however the EGR system still remains in-place. No other power-adders. The DPF deletes have been on the truck for about 20,000mi. The truck has never shown signs a head gasket problem(s) i.e.: gurgling sounds, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, visible leaks around the head, etc. When the truck starts making boost an obvious “exhaust leak” sounds begins. I have checked all the manifold ports, intercooler, intercooler boots, clamps and about everywhere under the hood in search of an obvious culprit; efforts have yielded nothing. I even pulled the sensor on the intake horn to see if there was any accumulated soot on it; it was still spotless… Does anyone have suggestions or similar issues? Since the EGR system is still mounted, could this cause strange noise(s)? Thank you.

-Rob

what is your best description of the sound? also, have you touched any of the charge air piping what so ever?

Describing a sound is a tough one... The noise is detectable at 15+ psi of boost and continues on the higher the psi gets. To me it sounds like an old 88 honda with an exhaust leak, except I believe its coming from the intake manifold side. Its not all that all that loud but I can hear it and it drives me nuts. The motor idles fine, doesn't make any strange sounds all the way through the RPM range until you start making boost. There isn't any strange vibrations either. And I can't find any soot stripes or any signs of a leak but something is going on.

Go spend couple bucks and build a PVC cap to pressure test your intake system.

I mention the intake system because of the leak description. Belts will do make weird noises, I would keep this in mind.

RDPsmoker is saying, pressurize the charge air system and inspect for leaks. And when you pressure test the charge air system, make sure you use the existing clamps and piping.

I'm feeling this is a exhaust leak. Don't forget that the EGR system is still intact and will resonate as if it where a manifold connection leak.

I'm intrigued. Will you elaborate a little bit?

-Rob

Find a PVC cap same size as the intake tube on your turbo. I had a new boot that stayed with the cap. Then drill two holes tap both one for a shrader valve and one for a pressure gauge. Then use air chuck to pressure up to 10-15psi

Back