Possible Newbie Here.. Few questions... Thanks Fellas

luvinacummins

Hi fellas.. I am not a newcomer been here long time just been turning wrenches on a Dodge.. I have since sold the dodge and looking to get a dmax...

I aint looking to start a bashing war here just want some help..

I am looking to get an 03 dmax...

Questions

Is this a good motor?
Any thing I should look for?
are miles a concern?

Goals..

EFI tuning by Rob Coddens
MPI twins
and Ultimate Tranny...

I had a cummins that was pretty close to 800 hp...I do not want that in a dmax i want a good fast and fun truck..

Thanks Fellers...

Shane:rockwoot:

That's the LB7, lowest hp rating of the Duramax engines but they're good engines. I would look for lower miles if you're planning on putting twins on it, just my opinion.

LB7's have injector issues.
LB7's have less emissions stuff. Most '03's have none.
Motor should be safe up to about 500rwhp. Some where between 500 and 600 you will need to replace the stock internals.
Suncoast stage III tranny is good for 500rwhp.
Front end...tierods and stuff are very weak and need to be beefed-up.
HP gains between the 4 generations of engines are do to tuning. The only thing I have done to my engine and fuel system is add boost with a Banks big head. With current tunes I have, it should Dyno in the 470 range.

As mentioned above the downside to the LB7 is the injectors and sometimes glow plugs. They are under a 7 year/200k mile warranty though.

Rob does the tuning on my LB7, and Nathan (MPI) handles my turbo needs. I love my LB7, but I would shoot for an early LLY 04.5 or 05. Those have cooling issues though, but that is easily fixed.

As mentioned above the downside to the LB7 is the injectors and sometimes glow plugs. They are under a 7 year/200k mile warranty though.

Rob does the tuning on my LB7, and Nathan (MPI) handles my turbo needs. I love my LB7, but I would shoot for an early LLY 04.5 or 05. Those have cooling issues though, but that is easily fixed.

Yep Rob and Nathan both live only an hour and a half from me... Had two set of Nathan's twins on my cummins...:rockwoot:

You're extremely lucky. Rob's tuning is limited by me getting good logs. I'm bringing my truck up there after Nathan is ready, then leaving it for Rob to tune.

Back