Possibly thinkin of jumpin ship

Spectre32

Welding Extraordinaire!
Well I have a ford, but I would like to get a new(er) truck within the next year. I'm planning now so I can see what money I need to set aside for "instant upgrades". Im pretty well versed with Ford and Dodges so no issues there. I know zero about duramaxes. I have a slight understanding that there bottom ends are "junk" but I have not heard this from anyone who builds high HP GM's. SO my questions are:

1) Bottoms ends , whats wrong with them and when do you need to start sinking money into them?
2) Injectors/heads, How hard is it to pull injectors/head without pulling the motor.
3) Are there any fatal flaws with any of the engines(blocks cracking, crappy rods, crappy injectors?)

I know enough that billet tie-rod parts are needed as well as an upgraded tranny and EFILive so feel free to chime in with whatever.

it depends on how far you want to go. the bottom is good to around 500hp give or take. injectors can be changed in about four hours. heads pulled off and back on in about a day, as far as flaws go duramaxes are no different than other brands(other than fords because fords are behind the eight ball right out of the factory). now if you take and have all the work done by a guy that uses air wrench to take your motor apart and reassemble it well then your cost will climb to the moon.

the best advice to give to you is learn all you can, do the work yourself and take the time to do the job right the "first time". and if you still need help call Tony Burkheart the guy knows duramaxes like NO OTHER. Tony is far ahead of other so call "duramax builders".

Any thing else?,,,hope his helps.

Does this Tony guy have some sort of website or something to that effect? I assumed the D-maxes would be easier to take the heads off of since there all Al opposed to cast iron.

What kind of power are you looking for?

The injectors on the 04.5 and new LLY, LBZ, and LMM Duramaxes can each be swaped out in minutes since they're outside the valve cover. The 01-04 LB7 Duramax has the injectors under the valve cover and can take several hours to replace all eight.

The rods in the 01-05 LB7 and LLY are good for 550-600 rwhp the rods in the 06 and newer LBZ and LMM are good for 600-650 rwhp.

The heads shouldn't need to be pulled for anything unless you're pushing 45+ pounds of boost. You can do headstuds one at a time w/o pulling the heads.

The stock pistons need the bowls opened up if you're over 650 rwhp.

I'm making 750 rwhp and running low 11's with a stock LB7 block, stock LB7 crank, stock headgaskets, head studs, main studs, Crower rods, machined LB7 pistons, Aurora 5000 turbo, dual Cp3's, 40% over injectors & ported heads.
ATS Aurora 5000, ATS dual CP3's, Crower rods, SoCalDiesel stage 2 heads, ARP head & main studs, Kennedy Diesel 40% nozzles, Kennedy Diesel lift pumps & filter, FASS 150, EFI Live, Kennedy Diesel tuning, BD manifold, Banks Intercooler, ATS Extreme trans, ATS Copilot, ATS 5 Star converter, ATS SFI flexplate/flywheel, ATS intake, K&N airfilter, 4" ATS downpipe, 4" MBRP exhaust, Rancho 9000X shocks, Elocker, Reece TitanV, 33x12.5x17 TrXus STS's on chrome H2's & some pulling mods = 2006 & 2007 DIESEL POWER CHALLENGE WINNER, 2007 best 1/4 mile - 11.24@120+ mph

Last edited:
we built our motor due to a crappy injector that knocked a hole in a piston
07.5 went back with some ceramic go fast parts,20 over injectors,cheetah turbo, and some secret goodies that I'll never tell. fully built tranny ,very strong truck I'll tell you oct.4th what kind of power we made. Over all that hole process went easier to me than putting headstuds in my 6.0

Tony Burkheart the guy knows duramaxes like NO OTHER. Tony is far ahead of other so call "duramax builders".

Any thing else?,,,hope his helps.

"so-called duramax builders"??? Which duramax builders have a bad reputation? I built mine all myself and it has 13,000+ miles on it running like a top. Does that make me better than all those other "so called duramax builders"??

not knocking tony at all, he is great with dmax's but what makes you say hes better than everyone else?

For example, another "guy" that is good; guy tripp engineered and makes his stroker kits in house, designs and cuts dmax cams, designed pistons, and he has has a beautiful ported head setup.

stock dmax bottom end is good for 550rwhp. Up until that point you are fine. Dont need head studs or anything.

ben

we built our motor due to a crappy injector that knocked a hole in a piston
07.5 went back with some ceramic go fast parts,20 over injectors,cheetah turbo, and some secret goodies that I'll never tell. fully built tranny ,very strong truck I'll tell you oct.4th what kind of power we made.

secret goodies? Damn son, you've really peaked all of our curiosities now.

ben

Back