Powdercoated Rims

chriswelters

Just a kid
Who has had there rims powder coated? How strong is it? How much did you pay per rim?

mine are...two toned. I paid $115 per rim, for two colors, as well as a clear coat.

an extra $37 for 32 lug nuts

l_ac665ccf01204250da3577ff62bf258e.jpg

I paid $75 a wheel for gloss black and clear. Held up great for me.....now they are on a SD down in FL.

I was quoted $50 a wheel here in STL in gloss black with a clearcoat...

I'm getting my rims powered coated black right now. The guy was saying that he was having trouble with getting the chrome off of the moto metal rims. He was talking about acids and stuff. Hopefully they come out good. he said somewhere around 350 400 for all 4 of them. I did this because i wrecked me other ones off roading pretty bad. Then the other Sunday i popped one of my tires that couldn't be repaired. It was from a lattice tower that was left by the power company. Hopefully they help or pay for all of it.

I would be very careful about the use of acids to remove finish of the rims. Acids have the nasty habit of causing some crystalization of the metallic aluminum. This can make the rim brittle. I'd actually suggest contacting the rim manufacture and ask what they would recommend. I'm positive they won't warrant it, but they might give some insight on how to better remove the finish without hurting the rims.

Good luck on getting the power company to pay for the rims from your 4 wheeling. I think they're gonna say sorry on that one.

The guy said that he used 2 bags of sand on 2 rims. I don't know if he's blowing smoke or what. What sucks is that he should be done within a day or two and I don't have service or time at work to make a call. I might have to have my girlfriend try to call them...haha I wonder how thats going to go! On the power company note, I've got positive thinking on that one since I'm a Electrical Lineman myself on the contractor side and I've heard story's about liability and stuff about leaving things in the ground for a hazard.

Well, if you have an in, that always helps. I'd prefer the sandblasting removal method myself over an acid bath.

Well you guys were hitting it right...the guy hired some other guy to do the acid bath and left it in there to long and completely wrecked the rims...the main guy cant get a hold of the hired guy. The main guy is working with his insurance, and either way he say he will make it right. He sounds and seems to be a good guy and i hope it all works out. Now i have to wait a couple more weeks

Back