power for 6.5

steph38

frenchy rookie
I have a friend running a 98 6.5 we try to have more power could you help us to find chips or something can enhance his power? thanks for you help.

Call Bill Heath(heath diesel) or westers garage since you're north of the boarder. They can help you out.

I have a friend that just bought a 1997 6.5L GM deisel and is looking for the same thing. Was/is there any downloaders or boxes for that engine from the normal performance manufacturers???

IIRC, hypertec made something for a while. Not sure if it's still available though. BD, had something for a while too. For the '97 it's going to require a reflash/swap out PCM's. Heath, Kennedy, or Westers are the choices I think.

I've just a similar situation. Friend and perhpas future client just purchased a used 1997 GMC 6.5 and after looking at it briefly I don't see an intercooler - did they come with one? I don't think it is going to make much of a difference running at sea level but would be good to know all the same.

Please let me know.

No intercooler on these from the factory. There are a couple of aftermarket kits that mount where the skip plate is under the front bumper... I don't like them, but some people say they work. Best bet is to limit boost to 12 psi with the stock turbo and all will be ok.

I am running 15 PSI on my truck with no problems thus far. Peak is around 17 depending on what gear I am in. Heath makes a towing tune, not a race tune. Everyone else makes a race tune. For overall performance, I would go with Heath. Just my opinion since I love the way my truck performs with mine in it.

Hope this helps,
Tony

My brother is purchasing a H1 Hummer with the 6.5l. He is also up in Canada. Can you guys post some phone numbers for me.

I ran across a pretty strong running 6.5 on 83 north outside of Harrisburg. She was trying her damndest to catch the old Ford, suprised the **** out of me.

horsehaulin said:
I am running 15 PSI on my truck with no problems thus far. Peak is around 17 depending on what gear I am in. Heath makes a towing tune, not a race tune. Everyone else makes a race tune. For overall performance, I would go with Heath. Just my opinion since I love the way my truck performs with mine in it.

Hope this helps,
Tony

Where do you get your information? Certainly not from me. I tune these ECM's in house and have the ability to do just what the customer wants. It seems people think that because I compete with my trucks they aren't safe to tow with. Fact of the matter is, most of my race stuff is even tow capable so long as common sense is applied.

P.S. Heath doesn't MAKE any tunes, he resells them...

Bill Heath is a fine man and DOES magic to 6.5s. No need to sling mud no matter who you are!!!!!

i have about 3 of these trucks is there any fuel screw that can be adjusted our anything easy to get more out of them, or is it all computer stuff, thanks

I picked up some marine nozzles on eBay for my buddies 6.5l, and installed them in about 30 minutes. Made a pretty good difference.

how much power did it make
and is there no fuel screw in the back of the pumps or anything lke that, i could tell you anything about a cummins but when it comes to a 6.5:bang

Where do you get your information? Certainly not from me. I tune these ECM's in house and have the ability to do just what the customer wants. It seems people think that because I compete with my trucks they aren't safe to tow with. Fact of the matter is, most of my race stuff is even tow capable so long as common sense is applied.

P.S. Heath doesn't MAKE any tunes, he resells them...

Wasnt knocking you John, I was simply going with my experience on my truck. I, like many others trust your parts, but I went with Bill on my last truck do to his shop only working on the 6.5.

Now that I have a Dmax, I will likely give you a call when I need something.

Tony

Well with what they want to get a little power out of a 6.5 I think a cummins in mine would be a better investment.

with the 92-93 pumps there is a fuel screw on the 94-95 trucks you can get just a chip the 96-99 iirc trucks you have to have the ecm reprogramed.i intercooled my 6.5 and it helped alot espeally when towing cause the ecm cuts power when the intake temp gets hot the only pita of an intercooler is it hangs down far so you have to watch it off road . Also another big help is a j hook for the wastegate

Back