PPE questions

lotero

I BREAK STUFF
im more of a dodge guy so im offering this one up to the Chevy gurus :bow:

OK he has an 06 LBZ with PPE hot+2, boost controller, egr blockoff, race valve, PPE lift pump (going to a holley blue and gauge this weekend) AFE intake, 4 in exhaust, and gauges. this truck runs pretty damn hard i must say but sets a fuel rail code on setting 4 and gets hot (expected) but what can be done to not drain the rail? what tranny/other mods do you guys recommend to be able to run the quarter and use setting 6?

thanks in advance fellas!

upgraded cp3...I don't know if you can dual feed the duramax rails...if you could then maybe that. but basically you need a souped up injector pump now.

What code is it throwing? Dual feed and Modded pumps should not be needed with the PPE level 6. Neither mod has been proven to do much in improving fuel flow.

How long has the fuel filter been on there? Are you sure the lift pump is working? How much pressure are you getting? How full was the fuel tank?

Any other codes?

we are putting a gauge on it tonight and the fuel filter is recent. we are going to a holley blue because i have had luck with them and that PPE pump is a loud sucker. the code is a 0082 fuel rail. what pressure should we be seeing with gauge, bout 14?

2001shrtbedcmns said:
but basically you need a souped up injector pump now.

All four gens of Duramax will run out of air before they run out of fuel. The stock turbo can only supply enough air for low 500s at the wheels. With upgrade turbos a single stock CP3 is good for low 600s RWHP

thats what i thought i was just curious why it seems to be draining the rail

lotero said:
we are putting a gauge on it tonight and the fuel filter is recent. we are going to a holley blue because i have had luck with them and that PPE pump is a loud sucker. the code is a 0082 fuel rail. what pressure should we be seeing with gauge, bout 14?
14 sounds about right at idle.

Are sure your not getting a P0087 code?

If so and he has a race valve it is most likely not tight enough.

I think what is actually going on is the rail pressure is spiking and popping the valve causing the low pressure giving the P0087 code. Some have said they had to really tighten there race valve to get it to quit.

I have had this code on my 07 but I just used less aggressive rail pressure in my program to stop it as I have a stock valve. But I am using EFI Live.

cool im going to look at it tonight and see , thanks for your help bud! oh yea he also said he left the washer in so we might dry to delete that..

we removed the race valve, checked it out. there is nothing to it so we just made sure the o-ring was serviceable and put it back in. put the fuel pressure gauge on, was getting 13 psi with both the PPE pump and the holley pump, i dont know if we tightened the race valve better or what but there seems to be no more fuel rail code but it still gets pretty hot on level 4.

lotero said:
cool im going to look at it tonight and see , thanks for your help bud! oh yea he also said he left the washer in so we might dry to delete that..

What washer did he leave in, with the race valve there is no washers just a solid valve,If you end up throwing the code again take race valve out and get a jewelers eye loop and look at the seat and see if there is any marks or nicks in it, I let a friend shim my first few fprv's, found out after the 2nd time he tightened it to much in the vice and it messed the seat up in the rail,I also run the PPE lift pump set at 12 psi and have a ported fuel rail fitting up front and the in tank pickup, I run lv6 and duramaximizer 1/4 way up and I alos have a gt4094 and dont code anymore. On the trans the first time around I was running a stock trans with a transgo jr and 1057 converter deep pan and transfer case brace, made 498 rwhp on # and 555rwhp on small shot of nos, 12.99's back to back, one late night street racing I got cared away on the bottle up top racing and limped but still ran fine of bottle.

wow thanks for the help man, sorry about the washer thing i was just going off of what my cousin told me on the phone and what he was talking about was the o-ring but when i got there we removed the valve and checked it out and re installed it. and put in a new pump and FP gauge so now we are getting fuel and now it isnt setting a code. we will continue to flog on it and see what happens, and if it throws a code i will remove the valve and inspect it. sorry for the vague posts but this is the first time messing with duramaxs and i have to say im impressed. bad news is the more i help him and the more we upgrade this thing the less time i have as the quickest around... damn...:eek:wned:

There not that bad to work on, There is days I wish I got a Cummins,Dont have to buy rods and pistons down the road lol.

Back