PPL 2.6 hitch rule. Need input.

dansdieselp

Diesel Tuner
One of the sanctions we pull with decided to go with PPL 2.6 rules this year. We finished our truck and built everything based on the rule book. First big event we go to our truck did not pass tech for a few reasons, but the main one was for the hitch design. The truck has passed in three other sanctions with the same hitch rules. Not looking to stir the pot. Just looking for input if we have a legal hitch or if we are in the wrong and have to redo our setup. Here are some pics of our hitch. Here is how the PPL hitch rule reads.

Hitch:
The hitch must be a “Reese”style
hitch; reinforcements
are permitted. Trick hitches are prohibited. The hooking
point must be the rearmost
point on the vehicle and must
be rearward of the stock location of the tailgate. The hitch
must be horizontal to the ground and stationary in all
directions. Bumpers may be notched or removed. The
hitch’s height from the ground may not exceed 26
inches. The hooking point must have a minimum 3.00 inch
wide x 3 ¾ length inside diameter opening for the sled
hook. The hooking point must be a minimum of 44” from
the center of the rear axle to the center of the hooking
point. The hooking point will be measured to the center of
the clevis loop.

4272bd94-d5f1-d38e.jpg

4272bd94-d60c-4045.jpg

4272bd94-d62d-e1a2.jpg

4272bd94-d658-a16f.jpg

4272bd94-d672-240d.jpg

4272bd94-d690-5b07.jpg

4272bd94-d69d-5efe.jpg

Tech said that no part could be at any angle or be above the rear axle. This means for supports too. Some say this is considered a draw bar hitch. When the receiver tube has no adjustability at all.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. Mine is set up on draw bar style in has 2'' reese slide in and has passed ppl all last year and scheid in ts before it went to ppl. Ive pulled battle of blue grass with out and ? on hitch. If i can ill post some pictures that on my old phone

The way the rules read it seems legit. BUT, heres the question. What advantage does that offer over a regular reese style receiver? Looks like all the attachment points on the frame are almost directly above the rear axle.

What is that bracket on the rear cover. Did you used to have a bar going from the hitch to the cover?

from phone

That hitch should be illegal. That is a draw bar hitch. When you take the side supports off the end of the tube it becomes a draw bar style hitch and should be deemed illegal in 2.6

One of the sanctions we pull with decided to go with PPL 2.6 rules this year. We finished our truck and built everything based on the rule book. First big event we go to our truck did not pass tech for a few reasons, but the main one was for the hitch design. The truck has passed in three other sanctions with the same hitch rules. Not looking to stir the pot. Just looking for input if we have a legal hitch or if we are in the wrong and have to redo our setup. Here are some pics of our hitch. Here is how the PPL hitch rule reads.

Hitch:
The hitch must be a “Reese”style
hitch; reinforcements
are permitted. Trick hitches are prohibited. The hooking
point must be the rearmost
point on the vehicle and must
be rearward of the stock location of the tailgate. The hitch
must be horizontal to the ground and stationary in all
directions. Bumpers may be notched or removed. The
hitch’s height from the ground may not exceed 26
inches. The hooking point must have a minimum 3.00 inch
wide x 3 ¾ length inside diameter opening for the sled
hook. The hooking point must be a minimum of 44” from
the center of the rear axle to the center of the hooking
point. The hooking point will be measured to the center of
the clevis loop.

4272bd94-d5f1-d38e.jpg

4272bd94-d60c-4045.jpg

4272bd94-d62d-e1a2.jpg

4272bd94-d658-a16f.jpg

4272bd94-d672-240d.jpg

4272bd94-d690-5b07.jpg

4272bd94-d69d-5efe.jpg

Tech said that no part could be at any angle or be above the rear axle. This means for supports too. Some say this is considered a draw bar hitch. When the receiver tube has no adjustability at all.

That hitch should be illegal. That is a draw bar hitch. When you take the side supports off the end of the tube it becomes a draw bar style hitch and should be deemed illegal in 2.6

If it is the same interpretation as last year. You basically need to have the hitch supported at the rear pin point. They want the pull point tie into the rear of the frame.

Yeah, that's a drawbar hitch trying to be disguised as a Reese hitch by adding a superficial receiver tube. You've deleted the critical element of the Reese style hitch - which is as Dan and Jeremy say, the cross beam needs to be attached near the end of the frame rails.

It's a nice hitch but sorry, no Reese hitch ever built looks like that one.

Funny thing is, if you had put a plate across the rear of it (even something light), I bet you would have gotten away with it for a long time....but a competitor would have probably spied it eventually.

Last edited:
The word interpretation gets thrown around a lot, but what actual part of the rule does the hitch not meet as it reads in the book? To me if it were a draw bar I would be able to adjust the Reese tube up and down, but it's all welded solid. The hitch does have a lot of geometry in it, but even if I added a vertical support above the pin to a cross beam it really wouldn't change the performance of the hitch. It would just satisfy a couple more people.

The word interpretation gets thrown around a lot, but what actual part of the rule does the hitch not meet as it reads in the book? To me if it were a draw bar I would be able to adjust the Reese tube up and down, but it's all welded solid. The hitch does have a lot of geometry in it, but even if I added a vertical support above the pin to a cross beam it really wouldn't change the performance of the hitch. It would just satisfy a couple more people.

We aren't arguing the function/benefit, just telling you what probably it needs to pass a tech inspection. PPL had a lot of discussion on this last year at Indy and Scheid, and it was brought up for the Platte City last year.

So if I add a vertical support above the pin all will be well? 2"x1/4" sq tube should be fine.

So if I add a vertical support above the pin all will be well? 2"x1/4" sq tube should be fine.

I would verify with PPL, I would make the rear pin go through the vertical support. Or put the vertical support directly above the rear pin.

44.5". We gave it a half inch for tech error, but we used two plumb bobs coming down from above to determine true centerline with truck sitting level.

That's not what the ppl tech told Sam when he called though Dan. Sam even sent pics for verification and was told This style of hitch is what they want. They are pulling trucks not street trucks so pulling hitches are encouraged for safety

Hmm. How many org's specify length in inches and "must be behind tailgate"?

1/2 the trucks running 2.6 with you. have draw bar style hitches& should be dq'd. the others just have the rear support. but for several reasons other then because you have won a couple local pulls, it among other things have been called out.

That's not what the ppl tech told Sam when he called though Dan. Sam even sent pics for verification and was told This style of hitch is what they want. They are pulling trucks not street trucks so pulling hitches are encouraged for safety

Well sounds like they need to work it out with PPL. I know there was quite a bit of discussion last year on this.

The "behind the tailgate" rule seems to be going away. There are a lot of places using percent rules with a minimum distance from rear axle.
I always it assumed it was to make it more fair for shorter wheel base trucks?

I was under the same impression as Z with it having to be supported in the rear? I didn't think that they looked real close at hitches at TS this year anyway.

Back