Priming fuel system

gulfcoastkustom

Hey Gents, I could really use some help here. This weekend I decided to tackle my cracked timing case. The truck ran great before I removed everything neccessary to get the case swapped. When I put it all back together again I can't seem to get any fuel to the pump. I have hit the priming lever on the lift pump a couple of hundred times now and it still doesn't feel like it's doing anything! I have cracked the injector lines at the head but I don't have a drop of air or fuel coming out of there yet. I have cranked the engine for 30 seconds at a time at most. I really don't want to fry a starter so any help is greatly appreciated.

Truck is a 2000 QCSB 24v P pumped

Pull the OFV right out when priming it. I've had that cause an air lock in the pump before. Pump a bit of fuel out and put it back in, and keep pumping. It should squeal a bit. Then you can crank it up.

Thanks for the input guys. I got the system primed today. I am not sure if it's the correct way to do it but I pressurized my fuel tank to get the fuel to the pump and it worked like a champ. I turned the pressure regulator down to 5 PSI on the compressor and used a spray nozzle with a rag shoved into the fuel filler neck. Before I pumped the air into the tank I cracked the banjo fitting on the IP feed line. I pumped air in for a bit until I heard air seeping out of the feed line then I started to get a steady flow of fuel running out. I tightened up the banjo again and cracked #1 injector line on the motor. Cranked the engine for a few seconds until fuel came seeping out of #1 injector. Tightened that back up and it fired right up, no hissing and pissing, no smoke, just purred. I was really surprised how well pressurizing the tank worked. Yes, the P pump was already on before the case cracked.

Back