Priming oil system after rebuild HELP

chad256

Lurkin
I just had my 98 12v engine rebuilt. I got it in the truck and am getting ready to fire it up. I have been spinning the engine over by the starter with no injectors to try and get oil moving through, but I have been cranking for a while and still no oil pressure or oil coming out of the filter housing to the turbo feed. My question is really how long should I have to spin it before I see oil pressure or flow, and when should I be worried that something isn't right. I put the oil cooler gasket for the storm block (which mine is) that it calls for, and I know the pickup tube is tight. I'm starting to get nervous here....

I've heard of some motors needing a grease like lube on the oil pump gears for initial startups because the pump can't draw enough of a suction to pull oil up the pickup tube enough to start building pressure. My motor was out for quite a while and totally disassembled though and it made oil pressure after about 30-45 seconds cranking.

Try feeding clean oil into the system by removing the oil feed adapter from the turbo and using it as a funnel hose and squeeze lube into it with a gear oil bottle. After you push about a quart in there, reinstall the line on the turbo and proceed with your initial startup.

I've back filled the pump through the relief valve, and have over a minute of cranking and still haven't seen any activity. I'm hesitant to fire it up without seeing oil pressure before hand.

Do you have a spare oil pump? Press the drive gear off and weld a nut on pump gear and use a air ratchet to spin it to prime system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

little update. I said screw it and decided to fire it up. After about 5 seconds oil pressure popped right up and everything seems good! Thanks for the input though guys!

Back