Pro Street 1st Gen Build Thread

Bodacious thanks for your kind words and input. Although I'm sure your way would be way nicer I just don't want to go that crazy with this build, I don't want to go too far out of my element. These 1st gen frames are on the weaker side to begin with so I feel you'd do more harm then good by grinding on the frame. In pro street class you must weigh 4500lbs and I'm not sure your allowed to move the engine back. I haven't seen a rule saying you can't so mabey it's just I haven't seen anyone do it. I also don't plan on being too competitive in this class, just want to meet some goals and have a lot of fun.

I've got enough wheel base that I'm not going to worry about moving the engine. Beings that I'm 4wd I like all that weight being right over the front axle, it aids in keeping the front tires planted unlike a 2wd. None of the low 9 high 8s 4wd guys run relocated engines from what I've seen so I'm not going to even fathom that idea, I'm going to keep it simple in that aspect.

Awesome build!! Keep up the great work, makes me wish I woulda built a drag truck more and more. Can't wait to see the first run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure your way would be way nicer

lol, I doubt nicer, but, quicker. You build that bad boy the way you want. This is what makes the sport so great. I just had a few two many and was doing some pipe dreaming for ya. LOL

These 1st gen frames are on the weaker side to begin with

Not with the proper cage.

I've got enough wheel base that I'm not going to worry about moving the engine. Beings that I'm 4wd I like all that weight being right over the front axle, it aids in keeping the front tires planted unlike a 2wd. None of the low 9 high 8s 4wd guys run relocated engines from what I've seen so I'm not going to even fathom that idea,

lol, I love to watch them run and can only imagine the forces placed on the almighty dana 60's. My pipe dream build would act like a 2-wd, but, would have the front end for dirt/sand drag racing.

You are doing an outstanding job to date. Just stay at it and keep us posted.

lol, I doubt nicer, but, quicker. You build that bad boy the way you want. This is what makes the sport so great. I just had a few two many and was doing some pipe dreaming for ya. LOL

Not with the proper cage.

lol, I love to watch them run and can only imagine the forces placed on the almighty dana 60's. My pipe dream build would act like a 2-wd, but, would have the front end for dirt/sand drag racing.

You are doing an outstanding job to date. Just stay at it and keep us posted.
Thank you, I sure will.

Are you by chance from northern ky? We're you at thornhill for the diesel drags? I am hoping to have my auto swapped in and be racing there on the third. So your 4x4 halfton frame and body is the same so far? I really need another chassis to build.

Are you by chance from northern ky? We're you at thornhill for the diesel drags? I am hoping to have my auto swapped in and be racing there on the third. So your 4x4 halfton frame and body is the same so far? I really need another chassis to build.

Yep, I'm in Walton to be exact. I'll be at thornhill that night, hope you make it I always enjoy seeing some 1st gens. So far the gas frame/body is identical.

Great! If my truck isn't done we will atleast bring the red 97 single cab dually. It is pretty quick. But we aren't sure of its full potential just yet over numerous issues. Is cousin Billy building your transmission?

Great! If my truck isn't done we will atleast bring the red 97 single cab dually. It is pretty quick. But we aren't sure of its full potential just yet over numerous issues. Is cousin Billy building your transmission?

No I am under my good friend Tim Wright's supervision, he's very good with these transmissions.

Got a little time to work on the truck tonight. Nothing too interesting just more mock up and clearance checking. I put the oil pan on to be sure at the current or lower future ride height it wouldn't come into contact with the front axle pumpkin.
by8ejazy.jpg
upyvavyj.jpg
I've got plenty of clearance on the oil pan but I may have to notch the engine crossmember near the axle pumpkin depending on how much lower I decide to go in the front. Next I put the 2nd gen engine plate on and bolted up my empty 47re case.
7unuvevu.jpg
a5ahytab.jpg
I'm going to make a simple tubing crossmember instead of the factory big bulky one, should save a few pounds and make things easier to work on. I've been checking everything and everything seems to be in align so far. I may have alter my rear drive shaft carrier bearing mount or go with a 1 piece drive shaft. Not sure which would be better beings it would be quite a lengthy 1 piece.
qatutu6a.jpg
I spent most of the time tonight getting the engine as close to dead nuts as I could. In my previous pictures you can see the engine leaned to the driver side. After adjusting everything as much as I could, 20 year old, 200k mile engine mounts are the cause, they are just plum wore out causing the lean. I shimmed it up as close as I can to factory specs using a friends 1st gen as reference.
8u8usaqu.jpg
y7y2uhyq.jpg
Next step is to get the transfer case bolted up so I can make my new crossmember with a front drive shaft safety loop built into it. I also must fabricate a new mount on the RE for my factory style 4wd shifter. I figure I will go ahead and measure for new drive shafts while I'm at it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what ya end up getting for crankshaft centerline?

Haven't measured it, I will tomorrow, I want to bring the front down another 2 inches when I ditch the leaf springs so it will match the rear better. What did yours measure out to 25"?

Do you have any idea on how much the extended cab weighs in comparison to a single cab?

My rclb 5spd w250 weighed consistently 6k lbs. My old rusty ext cab weighed in a couple times at 6500. Both 5 Spd 4x4. The reg cab also had about 200lbs of tools in the box.

Sent via USPS 2 weeks ago

All I know for sure is my truck weighs 3150 the way it sits minus engine, trans, transfer case, rad/intercooler, drive shafts and front windshield.

Back