Problem lining up overdrive unit onto transmission

talonkid119

Not Enough
Well to make a long story short about a week ago i broke a u joint on the highway, driveshaft smacked the ground and broke the extension housing case on the transfercase and the overdrive housing. I ended up finding a good OD case and swaped all my internals over to the new case. Everything is in spec in the case for clearences. When i slide the overdrive unit onto the intermediate i can get it almost up to the overdrive piston, it seems like its getting hung up. The parking rod is out and the gov tubes arnt blocking it. Ive used an alingment tool and it seems like all the clutches are lined up.

Do you guys have any idea? Do you think maybe the Intermediate shaft is slightly out of round? idk im running out of idea i was messing with it for a wile and gave up. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Mike

You must assemble the OD housing with a shaft in it because you can't move the clutches after you put the spring in. If it's just hte park rod hanging up, then try rocking the truck forward ever so slightly to find a parking pawl.

Last edited:
how much more do you need to get it to fit if its 1/2 inch or less tap the end of the od unit it should go inn

You must assemble the OD housing with a shaft in it because you can't move the clutches after you put the spring in. If it's just hte park rod hanging up, then try rocking the truck forward ever so slightly to find a parking pawl.

I didnt end up taking apart the Overdrive Geartrain because it was just rebuilt a little wile ago. im thinking maybe i should have cause something might be tweaked in their. I removed the vb with the parking rod so its not getting in the way at all. Maybe the intermediate shaft spacer could be hanging up a bit going into the housing.

thanks for your replays
Mike

The pilot of the intermediate can be tough to get into the bushing in the bottom of the OD unit. Use some grease and lube it. I have gently tapped them in before.

I had a similar experience when putting mine back together. As zstroken stated, be sure to put some grease on it. We had to work with mine some but we finally got it. Try supporting the forward most part of the OD housing also, instead of just trying to push it straight forward from the back.

Thanks guys. I ended up getting her on lubed the shaft up where the bushings are on the intermediate. It didnt want to go onto the bushing and faught for a wile, i ended up tapping on the output shaft and case with a plastic hammer and she started to go in. Im crossing my fingers everything will be ok.

thanks,
Mike

Back