Problem with 96 locking up after rebuild!

rdix7991

Grumpy
Got my truck rebuilt with a suncoast extreme rebuild kit and triple disk converter, and when driving with the O/D button on the trans doesnt lock up after 3rd but it does lock up in O/D.... but when I turn the O/D button off, it will lock up after 3rd??

Any ideas? I replaced my tps with a POT also if that helps

No lock-up in 3rd is 100% normal.

Lock-up is controlled by the PCM (powertrain control module). Stock, the PCM only commands lock-up in overdrive. With the overdrive switched off, the PCM will command lock-up in 3rd.

If you want lock-up in second or third gear, either install a manual lock-up switch, or buy an aftermarket transmission controller such as the PCS unit and program lock-up in 3rd.

Ok. First, let me calrify that first this is not my 2000. It is my brother and I's 1996 4x4 reg cab.

Second, The truck has never locked up until OD, unless you turn the OD off. Now I know the rebuild couldn't have fixed the problem because this is obviously electrical.

No lock-up in 3rd is 100% normal.

Lock-up is controlled by the PCM (powertrain control module). Stock, the PCM only commands lock-up in overdrive. With the overdrive switched off, the PCM will command lock-up in 3rd.

If you want lock-up in second or third gear, either install a manual lock-up switch, or buy an aftermarket transmission controller such as the PCS unit and program lock-up in 3rd.

Ok! Thats what I was wondering. See my 2000 locks the converter in 3rd and then unlocks for the OD shift and then locks back up again in OD. So I just thought that both the trans being 47RE's that they would lock up the same way?

Truck has a manual lock-up switch. Sorry for any confusion.

Back