Problem with my limited slip

D Twigg

Starting to understand
Alright guys the other night on the way home I a burn out with the truck in my sig and now the limited slip is acting up. It acts like it has a locker in it and is full time posi going down the road and making turns. Does anyone know what it could be, did i fry the clutches in the limited slip or could it be worse or something simple? I check the fluid level, its full and doesn't look like theres metal in it but then again I have not removed the cover yet. Any info is appreciated as this is my DD and only vehicle and the last thing I need is to be stranded.

Thanks Twigg.

Same thing with mine. I put a new factory replacement Spicer limited slip in and after a couple of burn outs its acted like a detroit locker when I'm turning. I need to pull the cover and inspect because I have been driving it this way for 15,000 miles!

I forgot to mention when I do turn sometimes I hear and feel a pop almost like the teeth turn or the axles move and the truck jumps a little.

when was the last time the fluid was changed?, My truck acted up simular in slow speed turns and after some reading on cf it was said to put new oil in and dont forget the friction modifier. My truck is quit as can be and doesnt act up anymore. I thought it was BS but sure enough cured my problem

I can't remember how long ago it was the oil was changed but it was done when I had the pinion seal replaced a couple years ago. I do believe tonight I will be changing the oil. Hopefully that fixes my problem.

If not I have been looking into lockers. I've been reading mainly about the Detrioit Truetrac. I'm woundering who all runs one of these and how do you like it and is it worth the coin or should I just rebuild the factory unit if it comes down to it?

Thanks Twigg

You have to get the friction modifier from dodge, they said I needed 2 bottles they are small and a couple years is a long time. I dont think I drive my truck a lot but I have managed to do 10k since late october early november till present

I did not get a chance to change the fluid tonight but I did get one bottle of posi trac additive from Autozone tonight so I guess I'll be getting the friction modifier from dodge tomorrow. I never thought to change the fluid's in the rears that often. I new it needed to be done sometime soon I'm just hoping I'm not to late now.

Last edited:
If this is your daily driver and you care about fuel economy, a good synthetic 75w/90w gear oil will net better fuel economy than 75w/140w. If you frequently tow heavy, better stick with the heavier 140w gear lube.

I have double the amount of friction modifier in it now with no improvement. So I called the supplier and they said spicer recommends NOT to use synthetic in their OEM replacement limited slip.

mine started acting like a locker too. Opened it up and found this:
Chucked it in the trash and got a Detroit.
4140171275_large.jpg

Your local auto parts sells the friction modifier in larger bottles. I think it calls for 8 oz or so.

I poured in a quart or so, damn thing locks now.

i work for dodge and we call for 80w 90 non-synth oil and 2 bottles of friction modifier just my 2cents

i say just put a locker in it and give me the old parts so i can fix my rear again

I've had two rears pop on me when i made turns Twigg and both times i pulled the cover and the spider gears were screwed if you need a hand with it get up with me.

Well I changed the fluid yesterday and a little peice of metal about 1 inch by 1/2 inch that looked like a friction plate or something came out. All the spider gears and ring and pinion look ok, can't see any missing or broke teeth. I put 80w 90 oil and two bottles of the friction modifier in and the rear finally started to unlocked some today but only on small turns with no throttle.

Go for the detroit if your going to be doing burnouts. To me it sounds like your clutches

Back